We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

British Gas customers put on most expensive tariff in smart meter error

Options
Some customers have been unknowingly switched from their cheap tariff of choice to an expensive alternative by mistake...
Read the full story:
'British Gas customers put on most expensive tariff in smart meter error'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it not about time the not fit for purpose OFGEM got off its backside and started pro actively managing this shambolic broken industry. These things should not be able to happen in a properly regulated and managed environment.
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The meters might be smart, but ...
    Data entry via humans can be a error-strewn process.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And was it actually an error or did they think they would get away with it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was one of these who used a collective tariff with BG and I noticed that my smart In House Monitor was showing the BG standard tariff of 12.2 p kwhr ( but my actual smart meter itself showed the correct tariff of 7.90 p/kwhr) I wonder if it was just the IHD was in error for some reason.I dont use it so I dont mind what it shows but BG definitely multiplied my bill out correctly by kwh x 7.9p so all was well.
    Maybe some people who like this gizmo only took notice of it and panicked .
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    And was it actually an error or did they think they would get away with it?
    No, they are too incompetent to actually do something that underhand :o
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am charging my hybrid car on single rate electricity right now.

Ideally, I want to put in a dedicated charging point, which communicates with a smart meter. When there is cheap electricity, charge it.

Would like an override button if I'm in a hurry, preferably like the countdown timer for an immersion heater, so the override only works for a limited time.

If only I was emperor, then I could put these really useful life enhancing features into everyday use. Democracy just means nobody listens to me.
  • lusitania
    Options
    Well I just checked last night after i saw it on the site. Yes they have changed my tariff to Standard Variable after my Smart Meter install in June . Looks like a phone call i will be making when they open their phone lines in the morning.
  • Former_MSE_Faye
    Options
    Hi Lusitania - would you be able to drop me a line? We'd like to learn more about your experience. faye.lipson@moneysavingexpert.com
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
  • nhsjules66
    Options
    This happened to me earlier in the year when i switched to smart meter. When I rang and queried the wrong rates I was told that the smartmeter could not deal wth small population tarrifs but my bill would be correct. More phone calls later My billing was corrected as it had been wrong and the smartmeter appears to be ok but I am keeping a close eye on my bills online.
    :j Claimed £6400 PPI some more to go :j
  • B12
    B12 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    This also happened to me after a smart meter installation in July.

I phoned just now and they knew about it. A pleasant lady said it would be escalated, fixed and refunded after 3-5 working days........what worries me is that I found this after reading the website article, how many others haven't/won't?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure