When is the time right for a horse share?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, whilst I agree with everything that has been said above, on the other hand, if you feel ready for the next step I'd say go for it but be prepared to be in for a very steep learning curve (how else you are going to learn anyway!).
    If you could find somewhere where the horse was say on 5 day full livery (weekend DIY) that would give you an ideal chance to tip your toe in the water. If you did a part share, say 2 days during the week + 1 weekend day, you could get used to situations mentioned above, ie. bringing in/turning out etc.
    Why not post an advert of your own? I'm sure there are plenty of horse owners out there who could do with bit of help, novice or not.
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all, Bestie sadly I'm I Surrey, Somerset sounds amazing but a touch far! I think volunteering at RDA is giving me some good experience of handling more horses, bringing them in, turning them out, dealing with little spooks etc. What I've taken from this thread is that there will always be something to learn, and also that there's no rush to jump in to a share straight away. The more experience I can get the better! I don't think I'll ever buy a horse outright because of money and time, but if I can get my knowledge up, continue learning and maybe look into some qualifications at some point, eventually I'll be much more prepared!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,046.55 as of 04/24
  • beakysian
    Options
    I'm late to the party here but I would say keep looking because the right situation will come along eventually. I have been a sharer for 5 years after I had the exact feeling you describe. I wanted to build a bond with a horse, not just turn up and get on. Like Mrs Z said I've advertised myself as an available sharer a few times, pressing the fact I'm a responsible adult and even as a novice I had a great response. I'm told by owners that they get so many approaches from teenagers who can't be left in sole charge and they would rather spend the time mentoring someone less knowledgeable but more reliable. Tell all the horsey people you know that you're looking and put an ad on Preloved.com. You might find people who are looking for a sharer but lurking to avoid the barage of "I love poneeeeeeees" messages :rotfl:

It will eventually happen with honesty, caution and lots of patience. My first share was with a girl who was willing to spend time mentoring me in everything from rugging and feeding to groundwork (something you never get to do in riding school lessons). It worked for her as she trained me to care for her horses exactly how she preferred and I got to learn loads. We met through an online forum and initially she offered to mentor me in horse care while I was still having RS lessons. A few months later, one of her horses became available for a share and I jumped :j

I'd also advise agreeing a trial period with any potential shares. I've walked away from a few that looked great on paper but when I spent time with them, the match wasn't right (in one case it was dangerous). As a sharer you need to get on with the owner as well as their horse so the time spent watching them ride, bonding with the horse and getting to know each other is invaluable. Personally, I also like to be on a yard where there are people to ask for help if needed. Private yards have their perks but it's good to have an extra pair of hands or a second opinion available.

In the meantime, perhaps look at BHS courses to start building up a good theory base?

In any case, good luck! The right person and the right neddy are out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure