We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: RBS to give 10,000s refund after student account overcharging

Options
Tens of thousands of people who held a student current account with RBS or Natwest between 2002 and March 2016 are due to receive a refund of overdraft charges....
Read the full story:
'RBS to give 10,000s refund after student account overcharging'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Rosie111
    Rosie111 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Refund received - £2524
  • Akk223
    Akk223 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    When were the letters sent out? I have had a student account from 1998 until 2005 and still bank with them at present. My overdraft was increased on many occasions during that period.
  • Bmth100
    Bmth100 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    Options
    May have to look into this, I've had an account since 2000 and a student account since 2007
  • Rosie111
    Rosie111 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My letter was dated 12/08
  • Kirtig
    Kirtig Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Rosie111....how long did you have your account, did your credit file get affected and for what date period did you get a refund?
  • bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had both Natwest and RBS student accounts between 2005-2009.. both ended up maxing out the overdrafts(!) I havent had a letter but surely must be due something! Will have to give them a call :)
  • Kirtig
    Options
    Good luck getting through to them especially if it's a closed account. I had to be transferred to 10 different teams and the branch before I spoke to the correct one. There will be a new batch mid September and mid oct
  • Rosie111
    Options
    Kirtig - I had my account from 2002- 2016. Always in my overdraft. It didn't state any dates. I have been paying interest since 2006.
  • Kirtig
    Options
    Wow that's a long time! Mine wasn't that long was from 2005 to 2013. But interest was charged from 2011 onwards I think. I dont think il get as much as yourself but the impact was a lot higher for me. Is your account now closed or still active?
  • Akk223
    Akk223 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Which department was dealing with it. I have called them and they said they knew nothing about this at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure