Hand luggage question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
5 replies 802 views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
Can anyone tell me if this would be ok please.

I have a bag that measures 55cm x 40cm x20cm but at the wheels it measures wider than 20cm .
The airline site states bags need to be no more than 55 x 40 x 20 would i get away with this bag ?

Replies

• leylandsunaddictleylandsunaddict Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    No one can tell you that. If they ask you to put is in the measuring cage and it won't fit then you will have a problem. The dimensions airlines give include wheels and handles.
  • Stick to the stated size or risk a fee to put it in the hold.

I used to take an oversize bag, but realised it was far better for my anxiety levels to go within the size. I never got stopped but have seen plenty get charged, especially at overseas airports.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stick to the stated size or risk a fee to put it in the hold.
    This is the bottom line. They are often not checking but nobody can say there's no risk.

I once saw a guy breaking off his wheels at Schiphol to avoid the fee..!
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Normally you have to include the entire length including wheels. But some airlines don't check too closely, and even within the same airlines it depends on the purser in charge. I flew on Ryanair and they never measured my bag (which I thought was fine) on the outbound flight. On the inbound flight there was a lady with a tape! Mine just about scraped through. Others weren't as lucky and had to pay a hefty fee.:eek:
  • SW17SW17 Forumite
    845 Posts
    Which airline? Ryanair sizers are slightly larger than their stated dimensions, so unless the wheels are massive, you'd probably be ok with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals