Poll: Invest in equities now or wait

Options
PaulMTC
PaulMTC Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 24 August 2016 at 5:27PM in Savings & investments
Thought i'd conduct a quick poll to understand where people's head's are at the moment in terms of investing in equities/bonds taking into account the current market.

For those of you who are looking to make long term savings (5 years+) which camp would you say you are in .....

1. The market is riding high just now but is due a fall. I'm holding off investing until there is a drop (ie. try and time the market)

2. The market is riding high just now, however i am still making regular investments (eg. monthly) as i think that approach is best in the long run (ie. don't think it's possible to time the market)

3. Neither of the above

I'm interested as i've got some money to invest that is currently sitting in cash etc and wondering if i should just get on with drip feeding it now over the next 12 months or so.

Thx. Paul.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thought i'd conduct a quick poll to understand where people's head's are at the moment in terms of investing in equities/bonds taking into account the current market.

You forgot to add the poll.

However, if it was the two options you listed then neither would match what the majority of people do or think.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    I don't know with any certainty what the market will do next.
    I'll continue with my regular investments.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am definitely in the 2 camp and would could myself an unsophisticated investor. Will move my investments towards safer asset classes when approaching retirement.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Drip, drip, drip into whatever is attractive at the time.

Time in the market is what matters, not timing the market.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    Do it now or don't bother, you'll never find a time to invest
  • bertpalmer
    bertpalmer Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just invested the remainder of my ISA allowance. Time in the market and all that...

I don't know enough to try and be clever with timings.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know with any certainty what the market will do next.
    I'll continue with my regular investments.

Exactly this, investing as normal.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2 I am still drip feeding my regular monthly investments into a 60 % equity multi asset tracker fund. I have a lump sum to invest in November so not sure what to do about that yet.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • slowpoke_rodriguez
    Options
    " The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
    The second best time is now!"
  • Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've taken profits - wouldve rebalanced but my only 'loser' is UK property. I'm not confident enough in that sector to go ploughing 1000s into it! Anyway, net result = i'm sat on far too much cash in my ISA account right now and struggling to find somewhere to put it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure