Vent re Thomson/TUI resort reps

Options
Not surr if this applies to other tour operators but we have noticed a distinct change in the service by resort reps. We have had holidays over the past few years with Thomson and everything has worked well. Reps at the airport, on the transfer coach and at the resort have been brilliant, but this year was different.
We booked a holiday in Menorca for the last week of May and first week of June. When we arrived at Mahon airport there were about 5 or 6 reps in Thomson/TUI uniforms waiting outside baggage reclaim. We approached then, was asked our names and with a gesture over the shoulder was told the coaches were that way. No reps were outside so we had to ask the coach drivers in order to find our coach. No rep accompanied us on the coach, so there was no info given to us about the island, currency exchange, booking in procedure etc.
On arrival at the hotel, there was no Thomson rep to greet us, we were just left to fend for ourselves.
We booked one excursion, a pirate cruise as we were with our daughter, son-in-law and our 4 year old granddaughter. There was a Thomson rep, from another resort, on the boat. She was basically learning the ropes, and was Swedish. A fellow passenger asked her how many languages she spoke. 2. Swedish and English. As she said, they don't worry about language anymore as most people speak English and they don't have to deal with major problems these days.
2 days before we were due to leave I had a mild heart attack and was taken to hospital. The rest of our party had to return on schedule except for my wife. She went to see the Thomson rep and was told that they couldn't help, she would have to speak to reception herself. Luckily the hotel reception were brilliant. They let her keep our room for the extra time needed. I also need to use a CPAP machine, basically an air pump to keep my airway open at night, so having arrived back at the hotel late evening she asked the rep if there was anyway they could help get this machine to the hospital for me. They have a travelling rep with a car emblazoned with Thomson/TUI logos, but there excuse was, the machine is health related and therefore not within their remit. We were left to fend for ourselves. On my release, the reps, who had ignored my wife for 5 days, we're all sweetness and light asking me how I was. No questions about how we were getting home, no offer to assist us getting to the airport though.
I cannot praise the hotel enough. They even waived any charge for me to stay for 2 nights on my release. And it was an All Inclusive. Well done Stil Victoria Playa, bad show Thomson/TUI.
I made a complaint upon return and all I got was a phone call from a customer service manager, asking if I was ok now and sympathising with us, but stating that although they would look at the resort reps role, it was all down to their not being covered by insurance should anything go wrong if they were to offer help. Pathetic.
Vent over.

Comments

• HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    the 'reps' are just glorified sales people, trying to sell you this and that tour to make up for their pathetic wages in commission.
  • fleshandbone
    Options
    I have always found the reps to be satisfactory, besides the less you have to deal with them the better in my opinion.
  • Kedge39
    Options
    Well, the previous trips we have made with Thomsons have been fine. The reps were really professional and helpful, both at the airport and on the transfer coaches.
    This time I felt as if I would have just as well off by travelling independently rather than buying a package. With all the add ins that they charge you for, choice of seat, luggage, etc, you would expect a good standard of srvice, and some decent help when you need it most.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You seem to be unhappy with reps who had nothing to do with your illness - that's the insurance company's responsibility (and the hospital translator and liaison should have informed you of that).

I can't see they have done anything wrong apart from having a whinge over a swedish person.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These days more and more holidaymakers are going along the DIY route {we have for many years} but in the past have booked with both Thomsons and First choice and got to know the reps very well and was told by them that overall the companies were cutting back on the number and duties they do as many people are year on year returners to the resorts so have no need of a rep "on standby" at each hotel.
    It may not have been the same where you stayed but in Tenerife each hotel had an area that had all the info about the island/trips ect and there was either a list of hotels with times a rep could be found and/or a telephone number to contact. Towards the end of us using TA for booking our holidays we taught at least 2 new reps what was on offer on the island as they had been brought in at the last min and had no idea as to what the trips involved {just prices and days}
    As above the reps do not deal with the illnesses as {as far as I know}there is a dedicated group hired by the companies that will deal with that problem if it arises and apart from finding a coach at the arrival airport why would anyone need a rep on the coach or to be at the hotel when you arrive??, you have your paperwork telling you where you are staying the coach driver has your group name and knows where the hotel is and the reception have your details to allocate you room/rooms so the rep has nothing to do at that time.
    I am sorry you became ill but as stated your travel insurance is there to sort out those problems not the holiday company.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The last two holidays abroad I went on were with Thomson/First Choice but that was simply because they offered the cheapest price as a package for the two destinations I wanted to go too.

I also always hire a car so I'm quite happy to pick the car up at the airport and check in myself at the hotel. The only thing the reps have to offer are overpriced excursions with rigid itinerary's. It's much cheaper and more enjoyable to drive to these locations in a hire car and work to my own schedule.

Then if I want to find out about the local area I can access the Internet free on my phone in a lot of countries.

So really in my case and in a lot of others too the rep has no use so I think there will be less and less of them as time goes on.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just because you can manage without a rep, doesn't mean everyone does want to manage without a rep. I've been on a number of Thomson holidays and found the reps to be well informed and helpful.

The whole point of having someone physically there, rather than just a folder to refer to or a contact number, should be as a first point of contact in the event of problems. The fact that they wouldn't even speak to the reception is appalling.

They certainly didn't fulfill the job description: http://tuijobsuk.co.uk/work-at-tui-travel/abroad/thomson-and-first-choice/holiday-rep/
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    You seem to be unhappy with reps who had nothing to do with your illness - that's the insurance company's responsibility (and the hospital translator and liaison should have informed you of that).

I can't see they have done anything wrong apart from having a whinge over a swedish person.

Don't give people the impression that when travelling in Europe there will be a translator , or liaison though .many hospitals are quick in , quick out.
    It's up to the individual to get what they need from their insurance company, and even that may not be simple.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Makes you wonder how independent travellers manage to fend for themselves.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Makes you wonder how independent travellers manage to fend for themselves.

Why does it make you wonder that? Clearly people (including the OP) can manage by themselves. Sometimes they just find it easier to pay a premium for someone else to assist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure