PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• copperjar
    Options
    Well they will threaten to withdraw hoping you'll say you will go into rented I would expect. But if you are clear that's not an option, they either wait or walk away. Think my buyers will say the same once all the paperwork is done. Do you feel confident you would sell again?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • vacationgirl
    Options
    Our daughter (FTB) found her dream property and put in an offer of the full asking price but this was rejected as the vendors wanted more (?)
    The property was advertised by Swetenh@ms whose house sale advertisements always include the statement:
    Guide price £xxx (asking price) to £xxx (asking price+£20k)
    Therefore they seem to think it's ok to reject the offer as it is the minimum
    of the guide price scale.
    Don't understand the logic of this, if they want more money for the house why didn't they advertise it at the price they expect to achieve?
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Well they will threaten to withdraw hoping you'll say you will go into rented I would expect. But if you are clear that's not an option, they either wait or walk away. Think my buyers will say the same once all the paperwork is done. Do you feel confident you would sell again?

Yes, I've said that's the only options Copperjar - they either wait or move in with their (local!) family for a while. They don't have kids, they are a young ish couple so it should be relatively easy for them in comparison if they do really want the house.

Have you had any luck with new properties?
    Literally NOTHING has come onto the market in my area for the past few days. I decided to put an offer in on the one without parking that is a private sale, only to hear they are having difficulties and may not now be selling.

I swear I'm cursed!
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • copperjar
    Options
    Crikey MeandO! More bad luck. Really hope you can find something soon, and I'm sure that your buyers will wait. Sounds like they are getting a lovely house so won't want to lose it. Maybe they are holding back on getting the legal stuff done before you find somewhere? That's what I thought mine would do but they were chasing me to send the sellers pack back.

Same here this week - no properties at all. It's unbelievable, I was assured things would pick up in Sept but so far it's worse than August! We are seeing one tomorrow that I'm excited about (other half less so!). Its a bit over budget though so I've got to hope nobody else is interested. The one we put the offer in a few pages ago who rejected outright keep contacting me asking if I have reconsidered putting in another offer. If you are prepared to wait it out it does seem that deals can be had. One of the benefits of not falling in love with a house yet!!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • copperjar
    Options
    Our daughter (FTB) found her dream property and put in an offer of the full asking price but this was rejected as the vendors wanted more (?)
    The property was advertised by Swetenh@ms whose house sale advertisements always include the statement:
    Guide price £xxx (asking price) to £xxx (asking price+£20k)
    Therefore they seem to think it's ok to reject the offer as it is the minimum
    of the guide price scale.
    Don't understand the logic of this, if they want more money for the house why didn't they advertise it at the price they expect to achieve?

I'd guess if the guide price has a lower and upper ceiling, the full asking price isn't the lower of the guide! I hate the whole guide price approach, looked at one last week the same and I thought the lower price was too high!! They will wait it out then no doubt reduce it at some point. Maybe your daughters offer in time will prove to be a good one. They will wait a week or so if they have more viewings lined up then maybe will reconsider.

I always thought looking for a new house would be fun! :(
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • copperjar
    Options
    Well we went to see a house this evening and both really like it. Finally! So we will put in an offer. Only issue is that it is a bit over budget, so we will have to hope they are open to a deal. We're obviously in a good position and the house is vacant, but it only went on the market last weekend so it may be a waiting game. Trying not to get too excited!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • kilby_007
    Options
    I'll add my situation to the mix.

We sold (completed) in March and moved into rented after a run of bad luck with buying. We decided it would be easier to take off the pressure and break the chain. I think the other purchases falling through were probably a blessing. Although they seemed perfect at the time, we've re-evaluated what we want and where we want to be, however the area we want to be has gone crazy with house prices going up by 30-40% in 5 years. It seems to be down to a) The local shools going up to 'outstanding' on their Ofsted reports and b) A shortage of quality 3/4 bed housing with our criteria.

We're quite specific now in that we want:-

1) Walking distance to a good school (<20 mins).
    2) Walking distance to a village or town (<20 mins).
    3) Enough of a garden so that we can have a workshop, summerhouse/bar, seating area and a good sized lawn for the kids to play.
    4) A period property or attractive 60's-70's build (the latter is difficult to find given some of the building materials used e.g. stone/tile cladding and renders),
    5) A quiet (ish) road or cul de sac.
    6) Parking spaces (2 minimum)

Part of me doesn't want to rush into buying until we know what the market is doing, but part of me wants to get on with it and buy a family home that we can make our own. Our rented property suits us fine for now, but I'm getting a bit frustrated with things like wanting to build a climbing frame or mounting mirrors on the wall etc!
  • copperjar
    Options
    Well we've put an offer in at 7% under the asking price. The EA couldn't get hold of the vendor before noon and have closed now until Monday morning! Argh. He did tell me that the house has been rented out for the past couple of years but the vendors have recently split up and want a quick sale. I'm pretty sure first offer will be rejected, can go up but we have a maximum we can't go over so probably best to get there in 2 or 3 steps.

Feel excited and nervous!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • Gunther_Golf
    Options
    We are viewing a property today which is only the second one we will have viewed. Only been "seriously" looking the last 4 weeks or so however not a great deal coming up in the area's we want, within the budget we have set and which meet our criteria.

It's boring stuff i have to say!

First Time Buyers
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Well we've put an offer in at 7% under the asking price. The EA couldn't get hold of the vendor before noon and have closed now until Monday morning! Argh. He did tell me that the house has been rented out for the past couple of years but the vendors have recently split up and want a quick sale. I'm pretty sure first offer will be rejected, can go up but we have a maximum we can't go over so probably best to get there in 2 or 3 steps.

Feel excited and nervous!

Oh how exciting Copperjat! I have everything crossed for you, it's about time one of us had some luck! Let us know how it goes.

The house with no parking is mine if I want it, for a reasonably good price. As much as I try, I just can't get excited about the whole thing though. :(
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills