🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dirty Dog - Stinking breath but not a surprise!

Options
2»

Comments

• southernscouser
    Options
    My dog always did this! I found there was only one solution.

Eat it myself before he could! :D
  • bookemdano
    Options
    My dog always did this! I found there was only one solution.

Eat it myself before he could! :D

your one sick puppy :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Yup it's a lab thing!

My 11 yo lab X will still eat hers given the opportunity. (if I don't clear it up quick enough that is :eek: ).

I well remember a time when both my dogs were still puppies and one of them had done a "whoopsie" in the house whilst we were out for a short while. Unfortunately they decided to clear up before mummy and daddy got home so although we could smell it there was no sign - until they started vomiting all over the place that is _pale_ _pale_ _pale_
    :wave:
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    im afraid its not just a lab thing my parson russell does it. when he was younger it got really bad you knew when he had done it cause he would skulk indoors looking shamefull we asked the vet who said it can be a minerial defiency or a bad habit,in the case of my jack it was a bad habit if im watching him go a poo he wont do it but left on his own then its a different matter speak to your vet im sure he will tell you its a common problem.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's not caused by a physical problem, the vets can't do very much. my vet told me that the stuff they used to give you to put in the dogs food, they're not allowed to use any more. All he could suggest was the pineapple, which didn't work for my dog.
    I realised that my dog would eat her own mess (and that of other dogs) because she wasn't digesting it properly, and thought it was food - more so when I'd given her rawhides to chew. Changing from tinned to dry food made a huge difference, because she digested it better and it finally clicked in what passes for a brain that it smelt disgusting.
    Otherwise, if you think its an attention thing, you could try a dog behaviourist. If the habit's ingrained though, it might be hard to treat.
    I had to muzzle my mutt for a bit, (for other reasons), and she still tried to eat other dogs mess, leaving me with a sh*t covered muzzle being wiped over everything in sight.
    Sometimes there's no winning with them!
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marybishop
    Options
    My late Golden Retriever used to do this too and ate anything else he could get his jaws round. My friend's GR used to roll in fox poo. I suppose the only thing that could be worse is if a dog does both:eek: Never found a cure and he lived until he was 16 (so it obviously didn't do him any harm but it didn't do my carpets much good!). My new rescue choc lab seems to like horse poo but if I shout at him he stops straightaway (think this must be something to do with his previous training as he doesn't like being told off!!)

So definitely a lab/retriever thing but not entirely looking at other replies!

(Used to give the GR raw carrots and broccoli/cabbage stalks but it didn't work miracles on his breath unfortunately!)
  • minot
    minot Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    My staff cross likes to eat her own poo. She also likes horse and cat poo. She's about 5 and she's always done it from time to time. I stop her by just saying no and calling her to me.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Re: the carrot.
    Do you just hand over a whole carrot for them to nosh away on? I'm a little worried in case he literally bites off more than he can chew & starts to choke.....I've little carrots, sort of young ones, would they be better than a biggun?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    My pooch doesn't do this!

But he does poo n the bathroom if the door is left open at night!

I so wished I hadn't clicked open this thread tbh!
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • marybishop
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    Re: the carrot.
    Do you just hand over a whole carrot for them to nosh away on? I'm a little worried in case he literally bites off more than he can chew & starts to choke.....I've little carrots, sort of young ones, would they be better than a biggun?

If I gave him a whole carrot he would have quite happily eaten it by crunching it up but I used to give him tops and tails and the peelings. Funny thing is my new lab just cannot manage to eat carrots, either whole or in pieces - how weird is that!! (Not for want of trying though!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport