Dirty Dog - Stinking breath but not a surprise!

Options
2 year old Lab eats his own "you know what"
He literally does it (and if you're not watching) he then turns round and scoffs the lot (wretch)
He will normally save it up until I take him for a walk and then I get to it before he does but today have needed to stay in for a parcel, back door open, keep checking to see if he's done anything and then 10 minutes ago he comes in, belches at me and oh yes, he's done it - what a whiff
What can I do to stop him doing this - surely it can't be good for him?

(Sorry for the horrible thread)
I haven't got one!

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cheekymole wrote: »
    2 year old Lab eats his own "you know what"
    He literally does it (and if you're not watching) he then turns round and scoffs the lot (wretch)
    He will normally save it up until I take him for a walk and then I get to it before he does but today have needed to stay in for a parcel, back door open, keep checking to see if he's done anything and then 10 minutes ago he comes in, belches at me and oh yes, he's done it - what a whiff
    What can I do to stop him doing this - surely it can't be good for him?

(Sorry for the horrible thread)
    Putting pineapple in the food is meant to stop it, also if you give him a carrot a day that will freshen his breath up.Failing all this take him to the vets, and they will give more advice:p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • cheekymole
    Options
    Thanks Candy I will try the pineapple but DD won't be happy, it's one of her favourite foods.
    How much do you put in, a few chunks?
    I haven't got one!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yea a few chucks or a couple of rings.It's supposed to make their poo unpalatable.My late labs used to do the same, but my staffs have been fine, they're too busy eating each other, and their collars:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It's definitely a lab thing! My aged one even nicks the cat poo out of the litter tray given the chance. YUK.
    I once tried dusting her doings in cayenne pepper to put her off. She just seemed to think I was being extra caring by adding seasoning and ate the lot, as usual. Drank a lot afterwards, though!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    First of all, it's perfectly normal behaviour for a dog, and unlikely to do him any harm unless he's got worms.

These are some of the reasons I have come across -

Dogs will do this for several reasons - once you know what the reason is, you can work to stop it, but remember it is perfectly 'normal' behaviour for a dog......

1) Inapropriate toilet training - punishing a dog when you find a motion will result in the dog reasoning that if there is no faeces on the floor, you can't punish them, and this is the only way they have of removing the evidence.

2) Learnt from the dam. Puppies who were not raised with access to two different substrates will continue to soil the bed area - the dam will remove the soiling, and this become a habit for the puppies - they copy the good and the bad.

3) Enzyme deficieny, often cured by adding a small amount of pineapple to the diet.

4) Bacterial overgrowth - most common in dogs who eat other dogs faeces as they are naturally driven to add the good bacteria from other dogs and even other animals guts that they are lacking. Needs vet treatment with long term strong antibiotics to restore the balance.

5) Most common - inappropriate diet - food it too rich or contains indigestible parts - such as a high grain content. This is why dogs often eat 'cat litter tray crunchies' - cat foods are higher in proteins, which often pass through undigested.......
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Tortieshell
    Options
    All dogs do this given the chance! (thats why I love cats!). I was eating breakfast reading this .... _pale_
  • WeirdoMagnet
    Options
    In addition to the pineapple, you could pick the poo up as soon as he's done it. Obviously it will mean that you have to go out with him, but it sure will prevent him practising the behaviour, and if you stop him doing it, and therefore break the habit, you may well extinguish the behaviour.

What do you do if you see him doing it? If you know that he does it everytime, praise him while he's going, then encourage him away from it with his favourite treat/toy, then you can pick it up. :)

It's good practice to pick up poos ASAP for a few reasons. You can check that the poo is 'normal', which is an indicator of health; and you can also check it for any sign of worms/eggs. Picking it up also breaks the worm cycle (if any). And of course it also prevents you treading in it!!!

Georgie
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My shepherd !!!!! used to do it, we tried adding pineapple to her food, this had the effect of making the poopie tastier so she ate more of it, training is the key, you need to follow the doggie about and catch it in the act!
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Still a bit unsure though as he doesn't do it whilst out walking, just runs away ffrom it but if he is desperate and goes in the garden he just eats it (I do normally catch him before he eats it) as though he doesn't want it in the garden (it is always moved very quickly whether by him or me though!)
    I haven't got one!
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Some dogs are so sensitive to their owners, they sometimes misinterpret our actions, if you've always been quick to clear up after him, and do it infront of him, he may be thinking that's what has to happen - you make it dissapear.. A bit like an extention of reason 2 in my post above - learnt from the dam. Try putting him away before you clean up behind him.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure