22 Foxhole East

Options

Comments

• therocket_2
    therocket_2 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Delurking for a moment to agree with your DH and DS1! Chips and peppermint rock are definitely THE things to get excited about when at the seaside! Enjoy your break!
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks!
    To me it is all about the wobbly stuff at the end of the land. Hey ho!

Just back from 30 minutes away . Lidos are lovely, there used to be one about a mile away from us, but they filled it in sometime in the 70s and built houses on it. No real outdoor place to swim here, but over in Ashby de la Zouch we enjoyed an hour and a half swim, and then sat in the sunshine waiting for the boys to finish dressing. Very civilised too, at less than £18 for 6.

Did the reservoir and the forest and the lido. That was enough for a 24 hr visit, and had a lovely indian for supper last night.

So, laundry and packing to leave on Wednesday!

No other news, sorry!!
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did you go to the outdoor pool by the castle? Or somewhere else? Enjoy the next break
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Yes the one at Hood Park by the castle. It was lovely as there were not many in, and it conveniently clouded over for an hour. Then it was splash time with floats and inflatables, and it started filling up with kids, there does not seem to be a time limit, and people coming in looked like they were there for the day with a picnic.

I used to go to Brockwell Park lido and Tooting Bec Lido when I was a kid - I mean with my older brother, but still, a 5 yr old with a 7 yr old - no adults, 1970s parenting !

Miracle any of us survived- mind you, that is why I hate water on my face and can't swim underwater, pushed in and went under. whoops. Will have to get over that at some point.

It has rained today for the first time in a month. Just started. Lovely.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    And now I'm back, from outer space - oops, sorry, seem to be channelling Gloria Gaynor.

M-i-L managed to hold herself together for 2 1/2 whole days- DH left 6ish on Sunday morning , and she did not say a single word to me until I left at 10.30, so even if I was being given the silent treatment, at least she managed to be civil to the kids whilst handing out £20 notes as bribes. Was utterly bored to death, I am sure they (f-i-l and m-i-l) don't even speak to each other if they can help it. There was a strange air underlying the whole visit. They are rarely in the same room at the same time. I think DH is grateful I rescued him.

So went up to step-gran, got there for lunch and found she had a 'dizzy spell' the night before,'I'm fine, don't fuss', by 9am the next morning she was waiting for the Dr who immediately sent for an ambulance and she spent 3 days in hospital. Blood pressure wildly different on each side of her body and a racing heart so fast they could not tell if there was arhythmia or not. Lost the ability to walk at all and no coordination on her right side. They did not take her to the local hospital but straight to the Royal in Belfast.

Then the silly old bat lied to the doctors, said she lived with her daughter (I take it that would be me) and that she had carers coming in 3 times a day, every day, and they sent her back home in an ambulance!!
    She had an allergic reaction to the iv-antibiotics in the hospital, so they changed them to tablets, and she had an allergic reaction to those ones as well when she was home, so the gp told her not to take them - after 16 hours of being out of the hospital, and did not prescribe any more antibiotics. Did not prescribe an anti-histamine either, So after she swole up and went lobster, I ended up rubbing cooling cream over most of her body (!!)

Honestly, you could not make it up!

I managed to take the kids swimming one afternoon for an hour, apart from that
    the poor things were in one room down in the bedroom, and tbh, they were brilliant. Hardly any fighting, and just went off and sat in the cafe together at the hospital for 2 hours a day as kids were not allowed in the ward she was in, and I did not really have anyone I could leave them with.

She is convinced nothing is wrong with her, I mean you do not just lose control of your legs for no reason! But no, I am over reacting.

So we had a thoroughly miserable time really. And now I find myself wondering if she is sitting there pretending she is fine, and just a bit dizzy, or headachy, and is going to do herself permanent or fatal damage.

But she is an adult, even if a very silly one, who wants to be in her own home, even though I now believe it is not in her best interest to be so, and she is entitled to make bad decisions. The only way she will go into a home is if she is wheeled in backwards . She refuses to even consider the option.
    Even though she is lonely, is isolated,is now basically housebound, and her 3 friends are all now in their 70s or nearabouts and cannot help her out, she hates her carers, and now can add some kind of heart problem to her list of ailments and woes.

So there. And then she told me I should be grateful as I had had a holiday, she would not be going anywhere!

I did have thoughts of poisoning her cornflakes. Sorry. She was really vile.

And then she asked if I would be able to get over there again this year as Easter was too far away and she had not been able to get stones delivered for me to fill in the holes in the private road she lives on. I nearly spat my tea across the room.

Not so much taking the biscuit, she did not even offer me so much as a biscuit the entire time I was there. Just 'is it not time you were in the kitchen making lunch?' honestly, I am sure not all old people are this selfish.

But I am now home. Hooray!! Though I dread the phone ringing now......
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Welcome home f0xh0les Your 'holiday' sounds nothing short of horrific and I think thoughts of poison cornflakes were well warranted in this case. You deserve a medal for biting your tongue through it all.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    call screening?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Right, mortgage related stuff

Had to put overpayment on hold for July as had to keep money back for boat and emergencies, but now all cc bills paid and money juggled.

Start of August stats:

Mortgage currently at £104,900.00
    monthly interest was £142.12 for July
    daily interest was £4.58
    in July

So I need to find £900 this month - and I am not sure I can do this.

I am starting to think that maybe I should raid the kids regular savings accounts fund- currently £2,800 and pay off a lump sum on the mortgage, then pay them back at £400 a month, instead of scrabbling each month for the extra.. I am determined to be at £100k before 2019 begins in 5 months time.
    Will take a bit of wiggling and jiggling but I can do this.

Renamed my mortgage overpayment account - it is now the Christmas Fund.

Got Luv2Shop vouchers yesterday for £4 for the postal thing I do - I now have an envelope and for the next 5 months they will all go in there when I earn them and will help to fund it all. Should earn some every month.

Got my free stamps for the postal survey I do

£5 payout on p/a
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    £9.10 on Luv2shop postal survey topupable gift card

£6.00 on T0sc0 cl0bcard

£25 pending in Qui?dco for ferry - due October

£60 in my purse

Need to inventorise the pantry and fridge freezer as I have no clue what we have in the house. 10days on his own and the house is chaos and DH doesn't know where anything is, or what we have in either.

So today will be - banking, buying football boots and shin pads, meal planning and shopping and cleaning, tidying, and organising.

Checked the paper strips I left under the gap under the skirting board - left them 2 weeks. No sign of new munchings...... mind you I was a bit splash happy with the old wood worm killer repellent stuff. Or they could just be hiding.....

Have managed to wade my way through all the post, I have a laundry mountain to climb, tomorrow is supposed to be in the 30s so it will all dry nicely. Glad I laundered all the beds before I left I only have to do mine as DH has been in it while we were away. And it is over 10 degrees hotter over here than it has been in Ireland, so the difference is really draining.

M-i-L rang last night and tried to kick off - jealous
    whatever!

So - enjoy your day, whatever you are up to.

I am so ridiculously happy to be home, and I can actually see what I have achieved in the house so far. Yay! Go me! Let's face it, I have to be my own cheerleader around here.

Off to herd kids - see ya!
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I remember correctly, woodworm are more active in September so put it in your diary to check again when the kids go back to school.
    All that clutter used to be money
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure