PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

zoopla, how accurate is their housing estimate?

Options
I just wondered how accurate you think Zoopla house estimate is?

Close to market value, not that good?

Whats your opinon / experiance?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It isn't. Not one bit.

They take the last-known sale price for the property, if there is one, and then apply some sort of generic average market-factor to it. If there isn't a last-known sale price, they simply guess.

No more than that. You'd be as well off using a random-number generator.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    I wouldn't completely rubbish it, but they do rely on similar sales in the area and these must be recent for an up to date price.

I use it as a guide sometimes i find its higher than the listed price
  • aviii
    aviii Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Lol - cheers,
    I notice most of there estimate were way under what was being asked - so was wondering how a vendor or EA comes up with theres.
  • HouseMouse
    Options
    I think they should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

An area I know well currently has a Zoopla estimate for a house I used to live in that's almost 10% under the price it last sold for (2013). Prices in that area are rising, not falling. Its a 3 bed, whereas the others in the same street that have sold within the last 10 years are all 2 beds. There's a flying freehold over a shared passageway so the first floor area is bigger than the neighbouring properties, and that extra bedroom does make a big difference. Zoopla cannot know that they aren't comparing like with like.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Waste of time. Ignore.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For once, I don't agree with G_M. Accurate or not, a lot of people believe in them or, like the OP, think they may be right. It's a valuable piece of information, and can make negotiating easier or harder, depending what Zoopla give as the value. Doesn't make in "right" in either sense, but still a factor when either buying or selling.

The values don't tend to be too inaccurate in the main. Still not accurate. When buying, if there is a large discrepancy either way, I want to understand why....
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Absolutely useless when houses have previously been sold at a discount to the market price, e.g. to Local Authority tenants etc. They take the last price from the Land Registry which is the actual price paid, not the pre-discount value (which they have no way of knowing) then slavishly apply their percentage increase over the years.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They're a bit like religions; people believe in them so they're a factor in the overall human experience of marketing houses.

When you actually get into the detail, you find there are some fairly huge assumptions made.

They can't 'do' mine, because they haven't the usual access to the data.... :p.....but it doesn't stop them trying.

Hallelujah, I've been saved! :rotfl:
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would laugh at any buyer that tried to use a zoopla valuation as a negotiating tool. I would then give them examples of their ridiculousness and tell them to negotiate using proper information or go away as they've lost all credibility with me.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    Depends how many comparable the house or flat has. A zoopla estimate of a two bed terraced house in an area where there are many will be pretty close. A one off detached house will likely be far off.

They base their estimates on comparables drawn from rightmove so if there is nothing really to compare it to then it will be a struggle. EAs base their valuations on a form of better or worse than similar types of properties on there and others books. If marginally better than a bit more if marginally worse a bit less. They are guessing against a buyers preference against others on the market at a given time, based on their experience or what people like.

Exactly the same way anything is valued, shops apply a percentage mark up but then assess where that positions their item against a competitor. There is no dark art to valuing it's all common sense - as an automated system Zoopla will not have that skill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure