We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Amex slashes cashback rates on market-leading cards

Options
13»

Comments

• ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    andi2 wrote: »
    Got the letter about our old platinum amex today (no annual fee).

It's moving from 0.5% on first £3.5k of purchase, 1% between £3,501 up to & including £10k. 1.5% over £10k, minimum cashback rebate of £25

to

0.5% cashback on first £5k, 1% between £5,001 & £10k, 1.25% over £10k. Minimum annualspend of £3k to qualify for cashback.

From 8th November, 2016.

Ah, interesting. So basically makes it exactly the same value as my one after the fee is taken care of. Plus I will still get one more years 2.5% bonus. Will keep things as they are for now then...

Thanks.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i've been spending with the 0.5/1/1.5 version for a good few years, but my top rate is being sliced to 1.25 too:(.. that said, i spend less than i used to and might not make the 10k threshold this 'Amex year' anyway:undecided
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Finally got my letter too :(

I spend about £20k a year on it so I calculate I'll be about £35 a year worse off.

Still worth having, so I guess it's not the end of the world.
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • James_Thomson
    Options
    Ole' bait and switch. I am a bit surprised actually as Amex is generally one of the better CC companies. Time to switch I guess
    - James
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ole' bait and switch. I am a bit surprised actually as Amex is generally one of the better CC companies. Time to switch I guess

Bait and switch? Hardly. Amex have been paying the present rates for years, and there's a perfectly good reason for the changes.
  • The-Truth
    Options

Where are you going to switch to? I know who I'm going to switch to with a better rate but why should I share it with cynics?

And why on earth are you on about bait and switch anyway?
  • ScoobyZ
    Options
    My Amex is going once I have this years cashback in November.
    Halifax clarity will also become a Travel card only.

Main card will be a TSB 1% up to first £500 (until sept 2017).
    For over £500 will get a Nationwide 0.5% cashback and £25 quicdo.
  • voodoofish
    Options
    Has anyone who applied between 22 August 2015 and 8 August 2016 been told their card is going to change yet? They've not told me of any changes. My 2.5% cashback month is Dec, I'm not sure if it's worth trying to reach the £10k spend minimum to get this if they're just going to send me a letter in the next few months withdrawing that benefit?
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    voodoofish wrote: »
    Has anyone who applied between 22 August 2015 and 8 August 2016 been told their card is going to change yet? They've not told me of any changes. My 2.5% cashback month is Dec, I'm not sure if it's worth trying to reach the £10k spend minimum to get this if they're just going to send me a letter in the next few months withdrawing that benefit?
    Same boat, no communication of any changes yet. I applied in October 2015.

I'm guessing I'll get a letter about it around renewal time this year.

If you've been working towards the 2.5% cashback benefit I don't see how they could take it from you.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WillPS wrote: »
    Same boat, no communication of any changes yet. I applied in October 2015.

I'm guessing I'll get a letter about it around renewal time this year.

If you've been working towards the 2.5% cashback benefit I don't see how they could take it from you.

I don't recall receiving anything either, I got my card in early July last year.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills