Huge Bill from Scottish Power; can anyone advise?

My son today has had a shock; Scottish Power have tried to take £2.5k out of his account.

This is obviously wrong so he has rung them up and he actually has a debit of nearly £4k on the account.:eek:

Now I don't see how this can be right. His flat is all-electric, he does not have Econmy 7 as he just has electric radiators; however these are fully programmable, only ever go on in the winter, and then only in two rooms at once at the most, and go off at bedtime.

He never uses his immersion heater, they use the dishwasher or a kettel for washing up and the shower for washing themselves. Neither the dishwasher nor the washing machine are on every day.

He has rung Scottish Power today, and they told him to switch his electricity off for an hour, which he did, the meter did not move. He is expecting a call-back from a senior person this afternoon.

They have him down as a high user, I'm sure he is not.

He has been paying the £93 per month D/D asked of him each month since 2012, no-one has ever asked him for any more. He has never missed any payments.

He has actually queried it once before when there was a £700 balance, this was , I think, a couple of years ago and was told it would be sorted out. He heard nothing else so assumed it had been

I know they should have checked online more, but both he and his girlfriend have Aspergers Syndrome and don't think of these things.

MY question is, what can we do now? I am going to deal with the callback this afternoon (already arranged) as my son is at work. What should I be asking/telling them?

All suggestions welcome, thanks.
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There could be numerous causes of this billing
    1) If it's a flat in a block where all the meters are contained in a common Service Room, the wrong meter being assigned to a flat is common

2) Recently on this forum there was a case of one flats meter in such a block,
    actually supplying 2 flats.

3)Scottish Power had a botched software upgrade and it isn't wise to totally
    rely on their accounting.

In view of the couples disadvantages, it would best if you were to take over the management of the account, but to this you will have to have a letter from whosoevers name is on the aaccount.
    Once authorised, WRITE to SP pointing the couples problems, and asking for copies of all the bills issued as far back as they will go

If meter is in a Service Room, check it's number against that on the bills and it's veracity by turning off everything in the flat - Then whilst you watch the meter have someone on a mobile phone turn the kettle ON & OFF to your order. The meters activity should exactly match the bursts of use - If it doesn't, you have the wrong meter.
  • The meter is on the wall outside his flat.

Thanks so much for yuor advice, must rush, they bare phoning at 3.30
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2016 at 10:59AM
    Just to say this has now been sorted out and Scottish Power owe HIM £675 :)

It was to do with Scottish Power's software upgrade :(

He is now going to collect his refund and take his custom elsewhere. :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure