Oil fired Rayburn vs Boiler & electric cooker? (house with no gas supply)

Options
2»

Comments

• marty2be2000
    Options
    The house i live in has oil fired heating and electric cooking and a friend who has an oil fired Rayburn. They have now purchased an electric cooker and placed that in the utility room and now do all the cooking on that, the Rayburn is now a decorative appliance in the kitchen that now does just hot water as it is apparently eye wateringly expensive to run. They even use electric convector heaters unless its really cold and use the heating very sparingly.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    A Rayburn would be very inflexible, particularly for summer cooking. Like Ben84 I've had a gas cooker (and hob) using a bottle, kept on the balcony in the case of my Italian flat. Cheap to run really, even doing the baking I did.

Bear in mind that I have GCH but the advantage of a wood burner is that you're not dependent on electric in the event of outages, which you're far more likely to get in a rural OH line context. Very satisfying sourcing and preparing your own wood, if you're up to it.
    I now have GCH and electric cooking including an induction hob, but my gas bill last year was less than £40 as I've a wood burner in the lounge of my 3 bed terrace, and hot water is provided for 6 months of the year from my PV solar panels (with a contribution outside those times too).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure