We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Next Directory PPI Success

Options
I'm hoping for some guidance on Next PPI, Next have refused my claim saying that the insurance was taken out about 15 months after my account was opened and I know that I did not request this.

The letter suggests speaking to First Assist who are the administrators, but on contacting them this morning they say that they hold no details for me or the policy and gave me Next's number to call.

I spoke again to Next who say that First Assist should have passed me to Groupama - not sure why Next could not have given me those details to begin with. Now looking at Groupama they no longer exist in the UK and were taken over by Ageas a few years back.

Has anyone got anywhere with disputing this? Could the FOS help in this instance? Looking forward to some helpful advice!

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they have rejected your complaint you have 6 months to refer to the FOS normally (your letter should have told you this).

If they have records indicating you agreed to it after 15 months of using the account, unfortunately that trumps your memory of the event.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    the insurance was taken out about 15 months after my account was opened and I know that I did not request this.
    PPI was not just routinely added without the knowledge and permission of the customer. It's a myth sponsored by claim companies that this was the case. People simply forget agreeing to the insurance.

Why on earth have you titled your thread "PPI Success" when your complaint has been rejected?
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    If they have rejected your complaint you have 6 months to refer to the FOS
    The OP can refer the complaint to the Ombudsman only if the PPI was purchased post January 2005 when regulation began.

I expect this is why Next have mentioned the possibility of contacting the Administrators.
    Could the FOS help in this instance? !
    Unfortunately, it sounds like your complaint is pre-regulation.
  • monkeyblonde
    Options
    Absolutely no need for the sarcasm. I was looking for previous claimants who had been successful.

Interestingly I had the same case with a well known High Street bank a year or so ago and received an £8k cheque.

Perhaps someone in the same position as me can offer some helpful advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Absolutely no need for the sarcasm. I was looking for previous claimants who had been successful.
    What sarcasm?
    Your thread title simply makes it appear you have had success when you haven't.

Perhaps someone in the same position as me can offer some helpful advice.
    That's unlikely unless you make that clear by editing your original post.

Was your PPI purchased earlier than 2005? If that is the case, there won't have been any "success" stories to share
  • monkeyblonde
    Options
    Yes it was purchased pre 2005, as was the other policy with which I had a successful outcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes it was purchased pre 2005, as was the other policy with which I had a successful outcome.
    The "well known high street bank" you mention will have been regulated prior to 2005.

Next were not, I'm afraid, which is why you have not been granted access to the Ombudsman.

Sorry.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes MI is right here monkeyblonde, unfortunately any firms that were not regulated prior to the new rules coming in 2005 can dismiss any complaints as pre-regulation. You do not have access to the FOS. You can try the underwriters but if they bounce it you would be at an end I'm afraid.

Banks/building societies were part of earlier regulatory bodies so have to consider complaints
  • monkeyblonde
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I am just frustrated as I feel as though Next are giving inaccurate information and I have been passed around many different companies.

My original request was genuine as I know that I am not alone, however when looking for previous cases of such investigation very little seems to exist.
  • Daisy64
    Options
    I have had an offer of just over £2000 in compensation made today so don't give up.Next directory were very slippery customers.I first complained a few years ago when the PPI scandal first broke but they rejected the claim and at that time there was nowhere else to go as they didn't come under the Financial Ombudsman as it was pre store card regulation.A few months ago I saw an article in the national press about complaining to the underwriter for PPI policies on store cards ( this way if it is rejected I can go to the FO as insurance companies have been regulated for a long time).The address given to complain to for Next was:-
    The Phoenix Group,
    PA(GI) Ltd,
    1,Wythall Green Way,
    Withall,
    Birmingham,B47 8WG

I complained directly to them giving them my Next directory account number and just as the 8 week deadline was approaching this week they have written with an offer of compensation.
    Hope this helps others in this situation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Daisy64 wrote: »
    if it is rejected I can go to the FO as insurance companies have been regulated for a long time
    Regulation of Insurance products began in 2005 as already stated, so you would have had no access to the Ombudsman had your complaint not been upheld.

Well done on your success (and for finding this oddly titled thread as a first time poster)! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport