🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Upgrades verses New Contracts

Options
It's time for an upgrade but I have noticed that upgrades are more expensive than new contracts. I'm not sure why and if it's legal. I want a new phone but don't want to pay £10 extra a month than a new contract.
So why the price differences?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Legal?? They can change what they like, it up to you to either accept it or go elsewhere.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    or keep your existing phone and go 'sim only'???
  • greenstreetprince
    greenstreetprince Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2016 at 4:44PM
    Options
    upgrades are essentially offers from the network to you to keep your custom, they can take into consideration what your previous spend is and how profitable your are and are likely to be for them, therefore an offer might be ok for you but no someone else. i dont think you can make a blanket statement by saying that new deals are cheaper, i've been upgrading last 5 years on o2 as the upgrade offers have been generous but this year am very likely to opt for a new deal very soon. all depends on what is available at a particular time.

dont understand how and why u bring legality into it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport