PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

updating house title deeds

Options
Hi All,

I was recommended asking on the forum. This is my first post so I hope I'm asking in the right place. I searched and found some interesting advice but still not quite what I wanted to know so thought it best I post and ask it myself.

I own my house outright and want to add my wife's name to the title deeds. So it would go from my name only to two names. Joint owners.

As far as I can tell, this is quite a simple thing to do as I do not have a mortgage. Although I went to the land registry site and got a little confused by what they need from me.

It seems I need to fill in two forms - AP1 and ID1 - I think I also need a photo of me and a witness to prove I am who I say I am. I also need to pay a fee, but I am not sure which of the options to choose as nothing seems to quite fit what I want to do. I think the fee is £20 if I pay online.

If anyone can clarify that this is a simple process and I should be able to complete it myself, then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BenWells wrote: »
    Hi All,

It seems I need to fill in two forms - AP1 and ID1 -

Thanks.
    You also need TR1 to transer ownership your you, to you&wife.

Read the guide here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1
  • BenWells
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    You also need TR1 to transer ownership your you, to you&wife.

Thanks for this. I thought I was just adding a name and that transfer of ownership was if I wasn't going to be an owner at all anymore. It's all very confusing!
  • G_M
    Options
    Not confusing at all.

The ownership of the property is changing. It needs to be transferred.

TR1 transfers the ownership
    AP1 is the accompanying document applying for Land Registry action.
    ID1 is to prove your ID
    The (appropriate) fee is to compensate for LR time.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,797 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Admittedly it can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with the forms and process. Our online guidance is aimed at helping you through that and as G_M states forms AP1, TR1 and ID1 x 2 will be needed.

The land register deals with the legal ownership so if you want to add a second name then you as the registered owner have to transfer to you and A N Other. The notes which accompany the forms AP1 and TR1 guide you through completing the forms.

The £20 fee you refer to is a reduced fee payable if you submit the application online. I'm afraid that is a business service only so you can only submit them by post so a higher fee is payable.

That fee is payable under Scale 2 on half the current market value of the property. So if half the value is under £100K then the fee is £40.

If you work through the online guidance and forms/notes carefully it should not be too confusing. If you get stuck then you can ring us on 0300 006 0411 for help.

But we cannot give you legal advice so if you are in any doubt at all I would recommend using a conveyancer
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • BenWells
    Options
    Admittedly it can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with the forms and process. Our online guidance is aimed at helping you through that and as G_M states forms AP1, TR1 and ID1 x 2 will be needed.

The land register deals with the legal ownership so if you want to add a second name then you as the registered owner have to transfer to you and A N Other. The notes which accompany the forms AP1 and TR1 guide you through completing the forms.

The £20 fee you refer to is a reduced fee payable if you submit the application online. I'm afraid that is a business service only so you can only submit them by post so a higher fee is payable.

That fee is payable under on half the current market value of the property. So if half the value is under £100K then the fee is £40.

If you work through the online guidance and forms/notes carefully it should not be too confusing. If you get stuck then you can ring us on 0300 006 0411 for help.

But we cannot give you legal advice so if you are in any doubt at all I would recommend using a conveyancer

Thanks for this. Very helpful. And gone a long way to take away the confusion.

So we both need to submit an ID1 form - and do they need to be signed off by different people or can the same person do both? And can that person be just someone we know or does it have to be more specific than that?

That's a shame I can't do it online. I'm not sure why that is. As long as it is done correctly. Half the current value is a lot more than 100k so what does that mean with regard to cost?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!
  • G_M
    Options
    Read the section on witnesses in the guide.

Read the link o fees that the LR Rep kindly gave you.
  • BenWells
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Read the section on witnesses in the guide.

Read the link o fees that the LR Rep kindly gave you.

I did read them. They still don't quite make sense to me. Not quite enough to be 100%.
    I'll call them for specifics if I need to.
    Thanks for all help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport