PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

expectations of heating

Is it normal that property to buy doesn't have central heating or a boiler? Seems like every house we look at doesn't have them. I just now accept that we will have to fork out thousands when we move in and have all the floors pulled up. But everyone I talk to seem shocked by it. So now I'm not sure if I'm being silly buying one.

Thanks for any help xxx
Loan 1 £5200/£8000
Loan 2 £300/£5800
Total £5500/£13800

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's very normal in flats. In houses, it's less common.

But it's not as if it's going to come as a surprise part-way through the legals - or when you move in. So place your offer in the expectation and knowledge of what a CH installation will cost. Then be thankful you have a brand new system and boiler that meet your exact requirements, instead of wondering if it's on its last legs...
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's what I was thinking. Thank you for your answer. It's all houses. The most recent one doesn't have a boiler but does have a larder, a coal shed and an outdoor loo so it's very much stuck in the past anyway. I think the larder as a selling point haha x
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    I think that's weird. I have never known a place we have bought have no heating system. I can't imagine it, unless it's maybe a 200 year old listed building that's not been modernised - ever!

Very unusual IMO.

That said, most properties will require the boiler repairing or replacing not long after moving in. Sometimes, even the whole heating system. Not many people will spend money on a new boiler, and heating system, and then move house!

It's a costly thing to repair or replace, so many people don't bother, and will put up with the not-so-great boiler/heating system until they move. Especially as they know there's a high chance they'll have to spend money on the heating system in the next house!

Edited to say kitten, from your last post ^^^ it sounds like you are looking at fairly old houses. Coal shed! Larder! Outdoor Loo! :D Bet they're solid houses though eh :)
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • AdrianC
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. Thank you for your answer. It's all houses. The most recent one doesn't have a boiler but does have a larder, a coal shed and an outdoor loo so it's very much stuck in the past anyway. I think the larder as a selling point haha x
    RM link...?
  • Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Have you checked if gas is available in the area? Still some places without supply and some in quite built up areas.
  • AdrianC
    Glover1862 wrote: »
    Have you checked if gas is available in the area? Still some places without supply and some in quite built up areas.
    We aren't on mains gas.
    We have a gas cooker and a gas central heating boiler.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Glover1862 wrote: »

You don't need mains gas for central heating.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It sounds as if you're looking at the lower end of the price range for the size of house/area you want; hence you see a lot of unmodernised property which may offer value at the right price.

Back in the1970s I bought a house like that and had all the joys of adding modern facilities, but I could have dodged those problems by buying in a less salubrious road. Later, I was glad I'd given those other houses a miss,

Recently my daughter did likewise, taking my advice to 'buy the worst house on the best road' almost literally, but I'm sure it'll pay off for her, just as it did for me. She now has a kitchen and a bathroom!:rotfl:
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It sounds as if you're looking at the lower end of the price range for the size of house/area you want; hence you see a lot of unmodernised property which may offer value at the right price.

Back in the1970s I bought a house like that and had all the joys of adding modern facilities, but I could have dodged those problems by buying in a less salubrious road. Later, I was glad I'd given those other houses a miss,

Recently my daughter did likewise, taking my advice to 'buy the worst house on the best road' almost literally, but I'm sure it'll pay off for her, just as it did for me. She now has a kitchen and a bathroom!:rotfl:

Same here but it was in the late 60s, gutted the place completely and when we put it on the market a few years later the estate agent said it was a housewife's dream lol. We've always bought bad condition, good area and done it up. Except once when it was brand new.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I came across loads of houses in the 1970s which hadn't or had only just had bathrooms added, but I thought that by the 1990s all houses would have bathrooms. Obviously I was wrong!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure