Nationwide Flexdirect account opening turnaround time?

I remember when I opened my flexdirect it was all ready to go within a few days.

I refereed the OH, who is a new customer, and she got the "application successful" email saying they might need ID etc (seems to be the same one I got) and to expect a letter within "a few days".

It has been nearly two weeks.

I told her to phone them but the email didn't have any reference numbers or anything or the number to call and she is concerned that they wouldn't know what she was talking about (unlike me, she embarrasses easily).

Any idea if they are just slow?

thx

Comments

• kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Forumite Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    alternate wrote: »
    I remember when I opened my flexdirect it was all ready to go within a few days.

I refereed the OH, who is a new customer, and she got the "application successful" email saying they might need ID etc (seems to be the same one I got) and to expect a letter within "a few days".

It has been nearly two weeks.

I told her to phone them but the email didn't have any reference numbers or anything or the number to call and she is concerned that they wouldn't know what she was talking about (unlike me, she embarrasses easily).

Any idea if they are just slow?

thx

My took only 2 weeks when i opened last month.
    Tell her to give a call or go to the bank.
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Forumite Posts: 2,035
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Call or branch it will have to be.

The 5% period probably starts from the day of acceptance, so if they're being slow, she's losing interest potential. 5% fixed for a year is very good while all the rates seem to be being cut.
  • Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Forumite Posts: 531
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    I recently opened a Flexdirect a/c for my husband and got a similar email about ID etc.

The letters from them came fairly quickly, including the debit card and PIN no. and it did seem that they had set the a/c up and running before we had provided the ID. Our post can be a bit erratic ( depending which postman delivers it and what mood he's in ;) ) so we went into a branch with husband's ID etc. and they confirmed that everything was hunky dory and that was that.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • alternate
    alternate Forumite Posts: 694
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thx all

I will try and convince her to call them Monday.

All this ID stuff seems new. I didn't have to provide anything last year - they did it all electronically. I noticed you can provide ID by post if they require it though. Good job as the nearest branch is quite a trek.
  • Nationwide8
    Nationwide8 Forumite Posts: 362
    Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 30 July 2016 at 5:00PM
    Have just opened a Flexdirect
    Applied 15th July,acc opened 26th July,visible on internet banking 27th,had to go in branch with a letter they sent me for proof of Signature.
    Only just rec the card today.

I quiered when acc would open,15th or 26th and they said 26th which seems right as otherwise you'd loose a week or two of interest.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Forumite Posts: 771
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    It doesn't really help OP, but more future readers: I opened mine in-branch (on the advice of MSE'ers) and it was opened and useable the same day.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Forumite Posts: 2,099
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know it is off subject but Nationwide seem to be a bit late paying interest this month. I thought it would have been in by now. Yorkshire Bank and Nationwide usually pay their interest around the same time and the Yorkshire Bank interest was paid in the early hours of Saturday.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Forumite Posts: 31,541
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I know it is off subject but Nationwide seem to be a bit late paying interest this month. I thought it would have been in by now. Yorkshire Bank and Nationwide usually pay their interest around the same time and the Yorkshire Bank interest was paid in the early hours of Saturday.
    It's been a while since I had any interest on the FlexDirect account, but seem to remember that where YB/CB pay at the end of the last working day of the month, Nationwide pay at the end of the last calendar day of the month. A quick check back over your previous interest payment dates may confirm.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Forumite Posts: 2,099
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Probably be in by tomorrow then last month was paid 30th June
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • squaredoggy1
    squaredoggy1 Forumite Posts: 38 Forumite
    Same with us easier to go into branch opened same day, usable day after
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories