Sorn

Options
halkineso
halkineso Posts: 54 Forumite
First Anniversary
Hello guys I just want to know can I keep SORN'ed car in this type garage with allocated parking space. Garage Is for residents only and can be accessed with remote only. Thank you

IMG_20160729_202543.jpg
IMG_20160729_202548.jpg

Comments

• rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't see why not. As long as it is owned and maintained privately.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't intend insuring it, would you be ok paying for damage repairs caused by an unidentified third party driving into it?
  • halkineso
    halkineso Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    There's CCTV In use so I'm not worried about that.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can keep a SORNed car anywhere you like, just so long as it's not on a public highway.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    I watched the DVLA truck swoop on a car the other day. I thought it was partially on double yellows. The guy clamped it within seconds and started to unroll the untaxed vehicle sticker. Within seconds a flatbed truck had pulled up and lifted it.

Maybe the guys are F1 pit crew at the weekends? Never seen anyone work so fast.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you don't intend insuring it, would you be ok paying for damage repairs caused by an unidentified third party driving into it?

But you can insure a SORNd car no problem. Just not the other way round e.g. taxed car and no insurance is against the law.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst you can keep a car SORN it that location, you'd better keep it clean and keep the tyres inflated, as the other residents will think it's abandoned and they'll go flat out NIMBY mode to try and get rid of it. Ranging from calling the Police, to vandalism, to trying to drag it outside, you name it they'll try it.

You only need read some of the threads on this forum, to see how OTT people can get about cars being parked for months in the owners parking space within residential parking areas.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    Options
    I have a car on SORN in my garage, and this thread has reminded me to ask something.
    Since the tax discs were done away with, I have never had a reminder to SORN the car, so under the present system is it SORN'ed until you tax/MOT or sell it on?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    What do the owners and managers of the car park say?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Since the tax discs were done away with, I have never had a reminder to SORN the car, so under the present system is it SORN'ed until you tax/MOT or sell it on?

Yes. .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport