Family trees

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SailorSam wrote: »
    When i first started to do my tree was after my Mum died. I knew if i'd done it before she would have been upset about it. My Mum got divorced when i was only a toddler and she never ever spoke about my Dad, growing up you could almost feel the hatred in the air and i knew it was something not to talk about. I remember finding photos of my Mum standing on the church steps in her white dress, and they'd been torn in half. So i never even knew what this fella looked like. The only time i remember my Mum saying anything, when i was little if i'd been naughty she said once ......... You're just like your bl00dy Father.
    So after she died i started the tree.
    I found out little bits, and found a local address for his Mum & Dad (if they were still there). He may well be dead now himself but i don't think i would have knocked on the door, reminding him he still owes me Christmas presents.

SS, my story is similar but has happy ending.

I never told my mum I had found out details of my dad, and his subsequent new marriage, and his new children.

I also found out my paternal grandparents only lived a few roads from us as children, mum never told us at all, plus I walked past my unknown uncle in his Fire station every day on my way to my secondary school

However from my dad's death certificate was the name of his new daughter as informant. I wrote polite letter to her, enclosing SAE and a copy of photos of us as toddlers with my dad, asking for a reply, even if it was "Bu66er off"

All turned out fine, was invited to my unknown uncle's funeral and met the other half of my mystery family, seems dad was a good 'un in the end, his new children and their children are all doing well.

I do not keep in touch with them, just a Christmas card exchange, but nice to know there is another line going on
  • SailorSam I know what you mean, I never told my Mother about the secrets I found.
    milasavesmo I will send you a PM with an invite to one of my trees if you want?
    lillibet dripping Was your daughters teacher a Witch? Hope you can meet up with others.
    PasturesNew So glad we didn't loose you. I do remember that you stated at the start, that you could only do weekends. I am going to PM you, and it will be lovely to meet.
    THIRZAH Welcome. Sometimes people like what they have found, so they don't bother to double check. I have always ordered all the certificates, but it is expensive.
    There are a number of certificates on Free BMD for sale I think. These are people like me, who ordered the wrong ones.
    Tips x
  • SailorSam I know what you mean, I never told my Mother about the secrets I found.
    milasavesmo I will send you a PM with an invite to one of my trees if you want?
    lillibet dripping Was your daughters teacher a Witch? Hope you can meet up with others.
    PasturesNew So glad we didn't loose you. I do remember that you stated at the start, that you could only do weekends. I am going to PM you, and it will be lovely to meet.
    THIRZAH Welcome. Sometimes people like what they have found, so they don't bother to double check. I have always ordered all the certificates, but it is expensive.
    There are a number of certificates on Free BMD for sale I think. These are people like me, who ordered the wrong ones.
    Tips x

She did a very good impression of one!!!:D
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • Ah liilibet you do make me laugh!
  • edited 31 July 2016 at 6:28PM
    milasavesmoneymilasavesmoney Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 July 2016 at 6:28PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Have you looked at the original as well as the transcription?

Transcribers have to put down what they can see, not what they think the name or place probably is.

I've found a range of spellings of family names but, after looking at the originals, I would have transcribed the names just the way the transcribers did. Either the spelling in wrong in the original document or the handwriting makes an 'o' look like an 'a' and other similar variations.

You can report any 'mistakes' like this to Ancestry and they will add the correction to the transcription.

Yes, as I posted I always try to use source material. I was not on Ansestry, I was looking at the LDS online census transcribed lists at the local LDS library. Ancestry is unrelated to the Mormon church.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as I posted I always try to use source material. I was not on Ansestry, I was looking at the LDS online census records.

But the 'mistakes' were because that's what the written census report looked like to the transcribers. They are only human and are often volunteers.

Ancestry is unrelated to the Mormon church.

Yes, I know but it's useful if people who do use Ancestry report problems/mistakes/inaccuracies.
  • edited 31 July 2016 at 7:42PM
    milasavesmoneymilasavesmoney Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 July 2016 at 7:42PM
    I'm not sure why you are taking issue with my two posts. :o:undecided:question::question::question:
    Perhaps if I restated my original post you will understand the point I was trying to make. An LDS Genealogy Library manager was telling me that their transcribed posts were correct because they had three different transcribers do their state/county census transcriptions (one to transcribe and two to check). I was merely pointing out that I had found mistakes in these transcriptions > two within an hour. I had previously stated that I always try to use source material and was using this illustration to show why. At no time did I trash paid or volunteer transcribers. I was pointing out how often these transcriptions are incorrect. It is not a personal slander against transcribers. It is a statement meant to show how important it is to look at original material if at all possible. :)
    Although it's a good tip, telling me I could report any mistakes to Ancestry makes no sense in the context I was describing.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • dianasnandianasnan Forumite
    584 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I found that by joining my local family history society I could get worldwide Ancestry,Worldwide Find My Past, Newspapers, The Genealogist and lots of transcribed local parish records for the princely sum of £17 a year.
    In my case you have to go to their officewhich is near to local records office and use their computers to access but a bargain compared with annual wordwide subscriptions to all these. Plus they and local groups have monthly interesting talks by experts and a good online forum where you can ask questions.

Now I just have a general subscription to Ancestry and write down my queries until I pay a visit.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it's a good tip, telling me I could report any mistakes to Ancestry makes no sense in the context I was describing.

You're not the only one reading this thread. Other people will be using Ancestry and not everyone knows about reporting corrections.
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a question for anyone who uses Ancestry, please!

This thread has inspired me to pick up the threads of my family tree research again, and whilst idly searching t'interweb last night I discovered that there is a public tree on Ancestry in Australia which lists several members of one branch of my maternal family. If I join Ancestry Worldwide (or since that seems v expensive, it's more likely that I'd wait until one of their free weekends comes up again!!) will I be able to make contact with the person who posted that tree, given that it is open to public access?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum