Family trees

Replies

• GrumpelstiltskinGrumpelstiltskin Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That could have been in the past the problem with the LDS. The volunteers were willing but not able to work the computer system.

Luckily I live less than 1 mile from my closest centre and also luckily most times there was a younger volunteer who understood the system so I used to be able to get records with no problem, but since the online payment has been brought in I haven't bothered using them, I can't see the point of my bank details going all the way to Salt Lake City.

Also many more parish records are easily available either online or from the relevant county Family History Society these days.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Also many more parish records are easily available either online or from the relevant county Family History Society these days.

While a transcription is great - and a searchable transcription is also great ..... you do really sometimes need the original beside that so you can also check for yourself.

If you are looking for ONE name within a timespan of 5-10 years you're likely to be able to spot it/its variation than a volunteer who had to transcribe everything in the book and who had no special vested interest in locating one specific individual.

If you're determined to find your missing person it's possible you can spot it and nobody else would've as, to others, it'd look different.... also, say, stuff like using another (family) name that you know/recognise.

e.g. if you were searching for Chumley-Warner .... it might be transcribed as Chorley when the PR wrote Chumley .... but you know that Chumley is your Chumley-Warner really.

Then there are the notes in the margins that aren't always transcribed - and that might mean something to you.... there's all sorts in margins.

It's also nice to see "the original" so you can see for yourself that there really is no entry where you'd like to see one. So confirmation of absence.
  • GrumpelstiltskinGrumpelstiltskin Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pastures many records on Ancestry are the photos of the actual parish records not transcriptions. 2 counties they have that have helped me are Warwickshire and Northamptonshire. They are adding more all the time.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • edited 30 July 2016 at 12:50PM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2016 at 12:50PM
    Pastures many records on Ancestry are the photos of the actual parish records not transcriptions. 2 counties they have that have helped me are Warwickshire and Northamptonshire. They are adding more all the time.

I rarely use Ancestry, I always seem to "miss" the free weekends :)

I find FMP has more PRs, so I stopped looking at Ancestry.

This is the record set I'd like:
    https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/89534?availability=Family%20History%20Library
    The film is physically located in Utah.

The other thing is, until you've done it a few times, you've no idea how you'll get on. You could have a film that takes you an hour to skim through .... or it might all be unreadable.

And, you might be able to print it off, or not - they don't actually tell you. And what of taking mobile phone photos of it - allowed, or not? They don't say.

So you end up not knowing what you're ordering .... so it gets shelved as you hope something will turn up where it appears by magic online :)

I just logged in and clicked through to ordering online - it says I can order it online to be at a local office, for £7.50 for 3 months' loan.

It has been transcribed on FreeREG - and shows the person I am interested in was born to a Thomas/Mary and 3 years later a William was also born to Thomas/Mary. Trouble I have is where did Thomas suddenly appear from, so I wanted to look further back to see if he was baptised in that parish. Can't find the marriage of Thomas/Mary either, so that'd be in her parish no doubt and then they ended up in this little village.... but did Thomas come from there? Or did the couple turn up there for work and just live there .... and did they have previous children....

So it's a bigger requirement than a simple look up and one village really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ancestry too is not infallible as it told me that my late father didn't exist when he clearly did or I wouldn't be here and quite often I have the feeling its guess work rather than true records Having spent many hours in the records office when it was in islington (now moved to Kew) I find that if possible a trip to Kew is well worth the money as they are very helpful in pointing you to the right records.The Metropolitan Museum in London is , if its still open pretty good for records for streets in London especially if they have had their name changed and the electoral rolls going back quite a long way help as well if you know an address at all in London School register books are available there as well.I found a family of my late OH's ancestors all going to a school in Chelsea that is no longer in existence anymore since 1920 there. Fascinating hobby ,but you really must have patience, and when you find a bit of a break in the brick wall you get really excited about it (am I sad or what :)) Often you will find especially if you have posted a query on Rootsweb you will get an answer sometimes months later I had an answer to one of my queries two years after I put it on there and found a second cousin in Adelaide whom I exchange photos and news with.
  • Hi milasavesmoney, so glad you nipped over the garden fence to join us. Maybe, your earliest ancestor, made different stops before landing in the USA?
    I belong to Ancestry my trees are public, so I will now use the correct names for the long past relatives.
    I am a cheat though, my friend is a member of all the sites. She researches the information, then I add it to my trees.
    I will tell you all when Ancestry has a free weekend.
    Another thing that I use is Google images. I looked at Dublin in the 1700s, Loved the old map. As streets long ago, were far fewer, this helped me track down a residence. I then looked at for the nearest church back then. This then helped me find a baptism. (I will cover the topic of baptisms another day).
    I am just going to invite some more to join us. We also need some fun here don't we?
    Tips x
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a free online course running at the moment -
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy

I think you can still join it.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While a transcription is great - and a searchable transcription is also great ..... you do really sometimes need the original beside that so you can also check for yourself.

Then there are the notes in the margins that aren't always transcribed - and that might mean something to you.... there's all sorts in margins.

It's also nice to see "the original" so you can see for yourself that there really is no entry where you'd like to see one. So confirmation of absence.

So agree about seeing the real thing, especially in my case of a christening I found Rector had added in the margin "[email protected] son of XYZ" so I found the real father

Plus for a burial, in the margin, "fell off the church spire" no clue what he was doing up there anyway

Anyone missing father's try "[email protected] records" prior to court orders, more sort of small courts
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just going to invite some more to join us. We also need some fun here don't we?
    It's not for me.... I'll probably just pop in and lurk occasionally now.

This style of forum's not good unless you keep up to date, every day, etc.

I don't have time/interest for that level of commitment. I just scan the "new posts" search results and that's it :)
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another source of help could be "online parish clerk" not all parishes & counties are covered, done by volunteers

http://www.genuki.org.uk/indexes/OPC.html
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides