Family trees

18910111214»

Replies

• TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It helps because you are trying to identify someone - you need to get all the evidence you can about the person and put together a picture to work out the answer.

It isn't always easy - many of the trees on sites like Ancestry are just lists of names put together with no actual research done and are full of mistakes, assumptions and errors.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ames wrote: »
    I've been looking at my grandad's mother, there are two women with the same name born eight years apart.

Have you found the two women on the census returns? That information can sometimes help.

Have you found marriages for both of them?

FMP has quite a lot of parish registers on the site so you can see the original entries.
  • THIRZAHTHIRZAH Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If you can look at the parents marriage in Parish Registers it usually gives ages or earlier ones will just say of full age. It might help if there are two Jane Does born at different times.

My grandmother was born in 1891 but didn't have her first child until 1919. She went on to have six more children.

If you are looking for Luddites etc you could check the British Newspaper archives. It's a pay to view site but they sometimes have good offers and you can do a basic search to see if newspapers for the period and area you are interested in are covered. One of my ancestors was in prison in 1901 so I kept an eye on the site and as soon as the local paper for that time appeared I signed up for a month.
  • edited 30 January 2017 at 12:20PM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January 2017 at 12:20PM

I guess I'd then have to get marriage certificates?

Sometimes you just know it's the right person, for a variety of reasons ... but sometimes you think it might be and would have to buy a certificate to see/prove it ... but sometimes there might be six certificates it could be ... but what if it turns out to be none?

It's only an expensive hobby if you let it be.

If you're not sure then leave that person pencilled in and don't push the line any further for them ... just make your notes on your thoughts.

"This could be Jane, not sure, need more records, so check on the next FMP free weekend as it looks like there might be a marriage in the parish registers"

:)

Some people will be nailed the next time you discover a new record source; some will be nailed when you buy a set of records; some will be nailed on a free weekend .... and some, common names, will have to languish as it's "not worth the money to check" for your purposes.

It comes down to whether you are seeking concrete evidence/proof of something, or are simply "very interested, but can't afford all this money for just a piece of paper".

I've only purchased one marriage certificate, to try to get a clue who the man was that mum married .... and that just gave me a Services Number, no address except a barracks.... so now I have to decide whether to pay for the services records file, hoping that there's enough in there to tell me where he came from or a next of kin name or any clue ... but that's about £30. And he's not even blood related to me.
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Have you found the two women on the census returns? That information can sometimes help.

Have you found marriages for both of them?

FMP has quite a lot of parish registers on the site so you can see the original entries.

I've found them on the 1911 census, only one was living in the right town. It's possible the younger one moved away as a child and came back, but not particularly likely.

I'm looking at death records now (I know how old my grandad was when she died, so know her year of death), but I can't find either of them - do I search under the married name for deaths?
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    If you can look at the parents marriage in Parish Registers it usually gives ages or earlier ones will just say of full age. It might help if there are two Jane Does born at different times.

My grandmother was born in 1891 but didn't have her first child until 1919. She went on to have six more children.

If you are looking for Luddites etc you could check the British Newspaper archives. It's a pay to view site but they sometimes have good offers and you can do a basic search to see if newspapers for the period and area you are interested in are covered. One of my ancestors was in prison in 1901 so I kept an eye on the site and as soon as the local paper for that time appeared I signed up for a month.

Thanks, similar dates for my great grandma.

Thanks for the tip about the newspapers, that was going to be my next step when I had names for the right time period. I didn't know there was an actual archive to look at though, rather than trying to track down the local papers in the library.
    Sometimes you just know it's the right person, for a variety of reasons ... but sometimes you think it might be and would have to buy a certificate to see/prove it ... but sometimes there might be six certificates it could be ... but what if it turns out to be none?

It's only an expensive hobby if you let it be.

If you're not sure then leave that person pencilled in and don't push the line any further for them ... just make your notes on your thoughts.

"This could be Jane, not sure, need more records, so check on the next FMP free weekend as it looks like there might be a marriage in the parish registers"

:)

Some people will be nailed the next time you discover a new record source; some will be nailed when you buy a set of records; some will be nailed on a free weekend .... and some, common names, will have to languish as it's "not worth the money to check" for your purposes.

It comes down to whether you are seeking concrete evidence/proof of something, or are simply "very interested, but can't afford all this money for just a piece of paper".

I've only purchased one marriage certificate, to try to get a clue who the man was that mum married .... and that just gave me a Services Number, no address except a barracks.... so now I have to decide whether to pay for the services records file, hoping that there's enough in there to tell me where he came from or a next of kin name or any clue ... but that's about £30. And he's not even blood related to me.

Yeah, I think that sums up my attitude.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • edited 30 January 2017 at 1:48PM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January 2017 at 1:48PM

I'm looking at death records now (I know how old my grandad was when she died, so know her year of death), but I can't find either of them - do I search under the married name for deaths?
    You have the year - and, yes, it's the married name people are registered under for deaths.

To find a death in a year I'd first check freebmd.org - just because it's quick to load/search. I'd start without choosing a county, which would also give me a clue as to whether there were 1000 persons of her name that died that year, or just the one.

Look at the location of the one, does it look likely?

Check familysearch.org - if you look down the bottom left you can choose deaths. With firstname/lastname and year, type England into Location and choosing deaths it should narrow it down - hopefully to just your one.

You might get 3 entries for one person as the records come from many sources, so it's the one person, just in several record sets. Check each one to see if it gives you more information.

You might be lucky and find that the actual burial is there, with the date, then you'd know where she was buried too.

I'd check deceasedonline.com - just the free search, to see if she was there, which'd give a date of burial and a location.

I'd then check the newspapers to see if it got a mention. It's arbitrary if they get newspaper column inches. A huge explosion/car accident probably will be covered; regular person just dying at home of old age won't get a mention unless they were big in their town/society/church. You might get a simple death notice in the newspapers too.

After that I'd google... see if she's on anybody else's tree... whose tree? is it credible, do they know anything, are they family or just somebody with a huge extended tree who just added what you already know.

FMP - do they have anything, they hold the parish registers, but it might be "too modern/recent" to be included.

ANC - is there a mention on a tree at all?

Local archives, see what the county archives holds. Some of them have better systems than others for finding/seeing information. It really is hit and miss county by county.

Depending where it occurred, the Online Parish Clerks can be good - although they are in very limited locations, mostly Lancashire/Devon/Cornwall and a few others. Lincolnshire have a lot of their parish registers online, so you see the originals - but then you have to read through it entirely to look ... and they're the older parish registers, not modern ones.

Findagrave - unlikely, but is there a gravestone there?
    BillionGraves.com - probably not, but is she there?

Probate records - does that give a date, address, information?
    probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Finding records .... success .... information available changes area by area.

Having done all of the above, some people don't exist. I had a neighbour who died on holiday abroad. People looking for his records will find his marriage, no kids, he didn't die, wife died.... what really happened was they married, adopted two daughters, he died abroad on holiday, wife died back in their home village.
  • I am so sorry I missed all this. There is something wrong with the web site, as I asked for updates, and yet I have had none. Glad this thread is still proving useful. Shame I missed a lot.
    I have only quickly scanned through, but something that I do when I don't want the expense of buying birth certificates, is to look for baptisms, as they are free. I also search for the banns on marriages, as they are free.
    I will come back, and help if I can.
    Tips x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides