Benefits

Hi All,

My wife and I will shortly be first time parents. I've been trawling the internet to find out what benefits we'll be entitled to and whilst I think I've worked it out (just child benefit), thought I would ask here too in case I'd missed anything obvious. Our joint income is £57k (me 42, her 15) .

Is there anything else out there that I've not spotted?

Cheers for any help or feedback

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,514
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sounds about right. Child benefit of around £20 per week.
    The cutoff for child tax credits with one child is around £26k income
  • SaLoGo
    SaLoGo Posts: 1,025
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You earn £57k and you're asking what benefits you can claim?! Seriously?!
    :beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When you use childacare you can pay via vouchers from your employer, this is deducted before tax, therefore slightly reducing your tax bill.

Depending on your county you can sign up to receive one free book per month, there is the boots baby club that comes with goodies and very good offers.
  • richtips86
    richtips86 Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GwylimT wrote: »
    When you use childacare you can pay via vouchers from your employer, this is deducted before tax, therefore slightly reducing your tax bill.

Depending on your county you can sign up to receive one free book per month, there is the boots baby club that comes with goodies and very good offers.

Yes, I've looked at the salary sacrifice vouchers, although haven't really investigated it so far as I assumed it was a bit too early. And yes, the boots baby club is very good! :)

Thanks
  • richtips86
    Forumite
    SaLoGo wrote: »
    You earn £57k and you're asking what benefits you can claim?! Seriously?!

Of course, we'll be working until we're 80 (probably) and have never taken anything out of the system apart from driving on the roads and my comprehensive education, so why not claim what we can?
  • OP, please don't listen to the foolish nonsense about claiming when you're earning a reasonable salary. Depending on your location, it really may not stretch that far at all. Not to mention all the cash you've put into the system over the years.

You'll be entitled to £20.50 a week Child Benefit. It is to my understanding that until recently, you could claim CTC, but you'd end up paying more back in tax.

As previously said, Boots parenting club are really good, and shop around for baby whipe deals etc. They can sometimes be a bit hit and miss with sending out the coupon entitlement, though :)
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    richtips86 wrote: »
    Of course, we'll be working until we're 80 (probably) and have never taken anything out of the system apart from driving on the roads and my comprehensive education, so why not claim what we can?

Why will you be working until you're 80? I know retirement age might rise again, but I doubt if it will be that high. Or have you taken out a mortgage over such a long period that you'll be working to pay it off? Is it even possible to get a mortgage over so many years?
  • SaLoGo
    SaLoGo Posts: 1,025
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    richtips86 wrote: »

I quite agree... if you're entitled to it then claim it!

I apologise for my unintended abrupt comment, it just staggers me that a family bringing in that kind of income would need to consider claiming benefits.

I do hope you don't have to work until you're 80!
    :beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:
  • richtips86
    Forumite
    Why will you be working until you're 80? I know retirement age might rise again, but I doubt if it will be that high. Or have you taken out a mortgage over such a long period that you'll be working to pay it off? Is it even possible to get a mortgage over so many years?

Apologies for my sense of humour, I was being facetious
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Oops, sorry. I thought you were being serious. Glad to hear you're not :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure