Car Hire Over 2 weeks

This year in Spain we hired a car for 2 weeks ai April with GoldCar. Cost was £110.

Next year same time, same place but for 4 weeks, cost is over £500!

I was expecting £110 x 2!

Does anyone know if charges go up if hiring over 2 weeks?

Just seems odd.

Thanks.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Check how much a two week booking would cost and compare that.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • It usually works out cheaper to hire for longer, but car hire prices change like flights and accommodation prices do. I'd be avoiding Goldcar though!!!
  • Thanks.

I just did a check with autoeurope.

2 weeks - £212 with Thrifty

4 - weeks - £329 again with Thrifty.

Still more than I expected but lower price than a few days ago.

Thanks,
  • ASSJ
    ASSJ Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wait until 2 to 4 weeks before you go before booking. It shoud cost no more then £100.I pay around £90 in april £110 in june £100 in september for 14-16 days hire every year at alicante airport
  • Thanks ASSJ. Which car hire firm do you use?
  • ASSJ
    ASSJ Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BuildBlogger I use centauro a Spanish car hire company they are not the cheapest, I never been hassled for extra insurance although they do ask. Small queues. Full-Full on fuel. Free cancellation up to 24hours before you go.I book comfort hire with centauro and have questor annual car hire excess insurance. We are away in spain end of sept for 18 days its 156euros now. Have a look in 5-6 weeks to see the price.I have used these for years at alicante airport.
    PS this does not work in main holidays
  • Thanks ASSj - I shall take a look.
  • We just used Goldcar in Portugal. Only negative of whole holiday was Goldcar. Followed all Martin Lewis' instructions to make sure we weren't ripped off when got there. Still were! Apparently the fully comp insurance we had purchase was no good (we ignored this frequent protestation). The take the car full of fuel at an extortionate cost and we'll refund you any that you don't use is highly unlikely given that when we returned it no note was made of the amount of fuel left even though we kept mentioning. There was the extra toll charge all hire cars have to pay (not their fault but still an unexpected cost for us). But best of all was the airport tax we had to pay even though we had clear print outs that said 'all taxes paid' - even if thei airport tax is beyond their control, their reservation information should not claim all taxes paid. There was also their driver who drove off screeching through the car park at about 90mph as we were all unloading kids from the cars at drop off. Disgraceful. Don't use them! :mad:
  • Laurent_62 wrote: »
    Goldcar forced me to pay extra insurance at the desk. That’s totally illegal ! After several unsuccessfull e-mails with Goldcar, I decided to start a claim on the website of WECLAIM :

… And I won !

Take a look at this article published in Le Monde : they talk about Weclaim and its big victories in Court against Goldcar !

Of course you did ;)
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Yeah right............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business