European car hire, insurance and breakdown cover

Options
I've been going through the fine detail on some of the excess insurance policies and the hire companies requirements
It looks to me like the hire companies are saying that there is no breakdown cover unless you take out their insurance

I'm thinking that taking out their least expensive insurance _and_ getting a standalone excess policy is the only way to go here - am I right?

(No doubt when I pick up I will be told that I have to buy their most expensive insurance to get breakdown cover - I hate hiring cars!)

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I regularly rent with Avis, breakdown cover is always included. No pressure to buy extra insurance, the only extra they occasionally ask if I want is the excess reduction, which I usually decline.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • TaDa
    TaDa Posts: 31 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cool - Are Avis competitively priced?
    Would it not be a good idea to take out the excess insurance as well though?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    TaDa wrote: »
    Cool - Are Avis competitively priced?
    Would it not be a good idea to take out the excess insurance as well though?

Yes. Always take at least excess car hire insurance, unless you intend to accept the excess waiver direct from the hirer.
  • TaDa
    TaDa Posts: 31 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have got the excess insurance and hired my car from Firefly at Ciampino - hopefully this will all be pain free

Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport