Brake Pad and Disc life span

Options
2»

Comments

• bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe the discs corroded due to lack of use and the resultant pitting of the surface wore the pads out prematurely?

Or when the car was bought 11months ago there was only 2/3k left in their lifespan.

So now 11months later and 1600miles they are needing replacement.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lack of use combined with pads/discs not being new when you bought the car.

Unreasonable to expect new pads and discs on a second hand car.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neyla wrote: »
    I have had my car for 11 months and have only done 1600mi sine buying it. It's a manual Audi (62) approved used car that apparently had a multipoint check done before I bought it.

I have just had a repair done on it from Audi (different from where I bought it) and they have said my brake pads and discs are 90% worn and need replacing.

To me, this doesn't sound right. I'm not a harsh constant braker and have hardly done any mileage, which leads me to think if I have been sold a car that had parts that needed/about to need replacing.

What is the general life span of brake pads and brake disk?
    and from what I have said, dose that sound right?

If you bought a new car then I would be concerned....but you bought a 4 year old car, just get the pads and discs changed if they need it.

You should bear in mind that an A4 vented disc is around 25mm thick, so if your discs are 90% worn then your disc will be worn down to 2.5mm on each side - which I seriously doubt as it would of broken up by now.
  • bigjl
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    If you bought a new car then I would be concerned....but you bought a 4 year old car, just get the pads and discs changed if they need it.

You should bear in mind that an A4 vented disc is around 25mm thick, so if your discs are 90% worn then your disc will be worn down to 2.5mm on each side - which I seriously doubt as it would of broken up by now.

I suspect the garage is talking about 90% of the Audi specified disc wear limit and pad wear limit.

Manufacturers always err on the side of caution and dealers make good money replacing discs and pads on Fleet vehicles I suspect.

My XJL had the rear brake pad light come on, I took the wheel off and had a look, plenty of meat left though the wear sensor had indeed indicated it was time to change.

I think it was something like 15k before I actually had them replaced and there was still at least 3mm left on the pads.
    Typically the sensor would indicate the pads needed done at between 16/18k on average (I discussed it with the dealer tech and he agreed, he also said he did the same as I did, inspected and left them in and ignored the dash warning)

I saved a fortune using good quality Pagid discs and pads. Which also lasted better than the OE ATE stuff.
  • foxy-stoat
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    My XJL had the rear brake pad light come on, I took the wheel off and had a look, plenty of meat left though the wear sensor had indeed indicated it was time to change.

I think it was something like 15k before I actually had them replaced and there was still at least 3mm left on the pads.

My Dad's XF is really heavy on rear pads, I changed them for him a couple of years ago for Redstuff all round, they last a lot longer and are cheaper than Standard pads.
  • bigjl
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    My Dad's XF is really heavy on rear pads, I changed them for him a couple of years ago for Redstuff all round, they last a lot longer and are cheaper than Standard pads.

I think the braking system is very similar if not the same on the XF and XJL.

From what I have been told the traction control uses the rear brakes as does the speed limiter, I assume the Cruise Control may do aswell.

I had trouble finding EBC pads locally so just went down the EuroCarParts route as I wanted to pick them up not wait for an online delivery.

What does the lifespan look like on the Redstuff?

Like most modern Jag owners, I will likely end up with one again, maybe not for Chauffeur work but you can get 10/11 plate XJLs for £16/17k with plenty of life in them!

That has to be bargain of the decade.
  • V6Matt
    V6Matt Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a different view to others.

Normally an approved car would have minimum conditions set, e.g. minimum 3mm of tread on tyres, minimum 40% of pads remaining e.t.c

It is a used car but I do think it unreasonable to expect an approved used car that has only covered 1600 miles before the brakes need to be replaced. No-one would risk getting that extra 10% out of the pads/discs.

I would expect Audi to pick that bill up, but just be wary if they offer you a discount brake change. They are likely to be vastly overcharging in the first place, so even if they offer 25% off.....you may still be paying 30%+ more than elsewhere!

Having said all that, I would still get it checked elsewhere to validate how worn the brakes are. Maybe take it to a fast fit outfit, they will often check for 'free'
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably takes as long to jack a car off and take wheel off than it does to actually change the pads
  • foxy-stoat
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    I think the braking system is very similar if not the same on the XF and XJL.

From what I have been told the traction control uses the rear brakes as does the speed limiter, I assume the Cruise Control may do aswell.

I had trouble finding EBC pads locally so just went down the EuroCarParts route as I wanted to pick them up not wait for an online delivery.

What does the lifespan look like on the Redstuff?

Like most modern Jag owners, I will likely end up with one again, maybe not for Chauffeur work but you can get 10/11 plate XJLs for £16/17k with plenty of life in them!

That has to be bargain of the decade.

The first set I put on lasted him 2-3 years from what I remember, 30-40,000 miles. Hardly any dust as well so he is well happy, saved him a lot on labour costs too.

The Jaguar ones lasted him less than 20,000 miles - I thought the calipers where sticking or the electric handbrake malfuction but no, thats what they are like.

I said to him slam the brakes on if noone is behind you, normally the front dips quite low but his XF was flat, so maybe the rear brakes work just as hard as the fronts.
  • bigjl
    Options
    For future reference the Pagid discs I fitted to the Jag lasted very well, no judder, no noise.

Still had loads of life when car went.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport