Brake Pad and Disc life span

Options
I have had my car for 11 months and have only done 1600mi sine buying it. It's a manual Audi (62) approved used car that apparently had a multipoint check done before I bought it.

I have just had a repair done on it from Audi (different from where I bought it) and they have said my brake pads and discs are 90% worn and need replacing.

To me, this doesn't sound right. I'm not a harsh constant braker and have hardly done any mileage, which leads me to think if I have been sold a car that had parts that needed/about to need replacing.

What is the general life span of brake pads and brake disk?
and from what I have said, dose that sound right?

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds more likely to be a case of upselling from the garage trying to get you to pay them for disks and pads.

If you are worried take it to a trusted garage for a second opinion.
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask the garage that sold it what their multi points checks said about pad/disc condition and how much life they had when you bought the car.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neyla wrote: »
    I have had my car for 11 months and have only done 1600mi sine buying it. It's a manual Audi (62) approved used car that apparently had a multipoint check done before I bought it.

I have just had a repair done on it from Audi (different from where I bought it) and they have said my brake pads and discs are 90% worn and need replacing.

To me, this doesn't sound right. I'm not a harsh constant braker and have hardly done any mileage, which leads me to think if I have been sold a car that had parts that needed/about to need replacing.

What is the general life span of brake pads and brake disk?
    and from what I have said, dose that sound right?

What miles were on the car when you bought it?

Chances are its the second audi dealer trying to drum up business
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    11 months after buying it you aren't going to get the brakes done by supplying dealer, they are considered an item that wears out. I would take a look at the pads through the wheels with a torch and see how much is left, then I would price up the parts so I know a ballpark figure. It's hard to give the life of brake parts because in mileage terms motorway use v's rural / urban driving is completely different. I think my last set of pads lasted about 30k - and unless you know my driving style and type of use it doesn't really help. Bizarrely I had to have new rear discs and pads before the fronts were worn out. I did notice the rear pads were badly scored by the time 1st mot was due. Not a huge expense if you don't use a main dealer. Have a look at price on something like Euro car parts or GSF car parts who have 40% off brakes at the moment
    https://www.gsfcarparts.com/?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email-26-07-2016-midweek-offer-40&source=smartmail&kwd=Email-26-07-2016-midweek-offer-40&s2email=rob.grey@ntlworld.com?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email-26-07-2016-midweek-offer-40&source=smartmail&kwd=Email-26-07-2016-midweek-offer-40&s2email=rob.grey@ntlworld.com

At least you'll know how much parts are, the rest is labor.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    11 months after buying it you aren't going to get the brakes done by supplying dealer, they are considered an item that wears out. I would take a look at the pads through the wheels with a torch and see how much is left, then I would price up the parts so I know a ballpark figure. It's hard to give the life of brake parts because in mileage terms motorway use v's rural / urban driving is completely different. I think my last set of pads lasted about 30k - and unless you know my driving style and type of use it doesn't really help. Bizarrely I had to have new rear discs and pads before the fronts were worn out. I did notice the rear pads were badly scored by the time 1st mot was due. Not a huge expense if you don't use a main dealer. Have a look at price on something like Euro car parts or GSF car parts who have 40% off brakes at the

At least you'll know how much parts are, the rest is labor.

You realise the link you posted identifies you don't ya, Rob?
    Maybe your not bothered, that's up to you
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,536 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no hard and fast rule.

I've had brakes which have done 50,000 and not needed changing and some have done as little as 12,000 miles, due to lack of use on a low mileage car.

However in this case I would be very suprised if a modern Audi doesn't have a pad depth warning system. Check your handbook OP.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the 'brake-pad wear' warning light on?

If not I wouldn't worry about it yet.

How many miles are on the clock?

Depending on the model and how the previous owner(s) used the brakes, a set of pads could last anywhere from 50 to 80K miles.

Discs are considered consumable items these days and a general rule of thumb is a new set of discs every 2nd pad change.

So even if they were 90% worn they could have another 7 or 8k miles left in them.

Audi workshops are famed for 'over-zealously' recommending renewing pads.

But as the next time the car needs servicing could be 15K miles or 2 years in the future they are playing safe.

Get the pad depth checked - if there is still 3mm or more left I wouldn't change them.

Wait for the warning light to come on and then change them when it's convenient - they should still be OK for 500 to 1000 miles even after the light comes on.

Having said that I would be changing them pretty soon after the warning light tells me they are low.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Firstly, take it do a decent indi for a second opinion.

Secondly, did you actually inspect the pads discs before buying the car?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neyla wrote: »
    I have had my car for 11 months and have only done 1600mi sine buying it...
    Low mileage is not good for disks and pads. You get surface rust on the disks, which would just clean off if the car was used each day, but which gets deeper if its not used. The rusty surface then wears the pads.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some people drive differently to others, maybe some brakes last longer than others. I've had my car 6 years with 50k miles and brakes have not needed doing in that time.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure