PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer - looking to rent out rooms

Options
124»

Comments

• jack5r
    jack5r Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm so BTL and rent out both rooms instead. That would yield a greater income but then would I not need to pay full tax on both tenants and capital gains upon sale? The initial fees when I looked into seemed to be around 4-5k.

We want low risk. We are not a wealthy family and will never see anything like this amount of money again. This lump sum is a one off and will be gifted. I will be giving my dad money each month so his pension is equal to his previous expenses/income.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you want low risk, property (in the short term) is most definitely not the answer.

Some on here (and elsewhere) are adamant the market is falling and about to crash.

Who do you believe? In truth, nobody, as nobody knows, we can only predict. Obviously someone will be right, but is that luck, knowledge for foresight? Who knows, as they will all argue their case differently if their 'truth/knowledge' is right :)

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There isn't a legal definition of what your main residence is. However some say it's a judgement based on a variety of factors such as:
      Where you spend the majority of your time/nights Where your belongings are kept Where you pay living costs Where friends and family expect to find you Where your post goes Where you're registered for your vehicle/insurance/bank/electoral roll If you pay council tax Do you regularly stay anywhere else that could be found to be your main residence

I believe it's possible to go travelling and your home to remain your main residence in your absence. This is because no - where else is your main residence if you are genuinely only travelling rather than have moved abroad, and you intend to return after a set period of time. Therefore you would still have your belongings there, have it as your address and where you are registered, pay rent/mortgage and bills, etc.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jack5r wrote: »
    This lump sum is a one off and will be gifted. I will be giving my dad money each month so his pension is equal to his previous expenses/income.

So your dad is giving you some money which you will use as a deposit for a flat. You will give him money each month to make up his income. He could however just use the lump sum to live on, but can't because he has gifted it to you.

Sounds like you are repaying the 'gifted' deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure