We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Smell from shower (I think) stuff to disolve lodged hair?
justaquestion
Posts: 737 Forumite
Hi,
In my bathroom if I use the bidet then then I get a smell in room , took a while to figure out where smell was coming from. don't think it is bidet, think it is definitely from the waste in shower.
Didn't have this smell for years, no probs when flushing toilet. I regularly clean out the waste plug in shower as a lot of body hair builds up there and gets caught in the trap.
I have tried putting a few things down there to get rid of smell bleach etc but don't want to damage any of the probably plastic waste pipes under the floor. Smell is probably due (by reading other threads) to all the waste pipes under floor being interconnected, and the water going down plug in bidet probably pushes the foul air up shower waste plug, At least that's my understanding could well be wrong.
My question is,
Is there a hair dissolver stuff that I could put down shower waste plug, that will dissolve any organic stuff down there, while at the same time do no damage to plastic waste pipes under floor?
Any other ideas appreciated as well.
Many thanks for any help.
In my bathroom if I use the bidet then then I get a smell in room , took a while to figure out where smell was coming from. don't think it is bidet, think it is definitely from the waste in shower.
Didn't have this smell for years, no probs when flushing toilet. I regularly clean out the waste plug in shower as a lot of body hair builds up there and gets caught in the trap.
I have tried putting a few things down there to get rid of smell bleach etc but don't want to damage any of the probably plastic waste pipes under the floor. Smell is probably due (by reading other threads) to all the waste pipes under floor being interconnected, and the water going down plug in bidet probably pushes the foul air up shower waste plug, At least that's my understanding could well be wrong.
My question is,
Is there a hair dissolver stuff that I could put down shower waste plug, that will dissolve any organic stuff down there, while at the same time do no damage to plastic waste pipes under floor?
Any other ideas appreciated as well.
Many thanks for any help.
0
Comments
-
I use a very thin piece of wire with a small hook on the end. It takes patience but it gets the hair eventually.I am not a cat (But my friend is)0
-
Use a plunger to dislodge the ball of gunk. In my shower, using a plunger is as effective as any chemical.0
-
Thanks for replies.
I have tried the plunger solution, and as I have said can get a lot of hair out as it gets caught in trap in shower plug. There is definitely no blockage in pipes as everything seems to go away ok, only a blockage sometimes at trap of shower waste but as I say I can clear that easily enough just by taking out the plastic trap in shower plug.
Just would like to try something that maybe will clear any organic stuff further down pipes, maybe something that has a good strong smell that will help overcome the foul odour, but at the same time not damage pipes under the floor.
Thanks0 -
You said it comes from the shower after using the bidet; are they both attached to the same waste? The use of the bidet could be causing negative pressure, that's emptying he shower trap.
You'd be best fitting a valve in the waste to stop that happening - if it's the cause.0 -
As post above. My Wife also uses soda crystals at least once a month down all the wastes, cheap and it works.0
-
Use caustic soda. Not sure where to buy it though, haven't found a shop in agesChanging the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.0
-
justaquestion wrote: »Smell is probably due (by reading other threads) to all the waste pipes under floor being interconnected, and the water going down plug in bidet probably pushes the foul air up shower waste plug, At least that's my understanding could well be wrong.
My question is,
Is there a hair dissolver stuff that I could put down shower waste plug, that will dissolve any organic stuff down there, while at the same time do no damage to plastic waste pipes under floor?
.
If the problem is hair, then there are plenty of versions of this - Buster Bathroom Plug Unblocker - around. It's safe for plastic pipes - it's only gold plated fittings that might be a problem!
Like some of the above answers suggest, it might well be your plumbing that's the problem rather than a hair blockage.0 -
My daughter has long hair and I use bleach poured directly into the drain that works fine.Why pay full price when you may get it YS
0 -
One shot drain cleaner does the job.0
-
You said it comes from the shower after using the bidet; are they both attached to the same waste? The use of the bidet could be causing negative pressure, that's emptying he shower trap.
You'd be best fitting a valve in the waste to stop that happening - if it's the cause.
Once again Folks thank you all so much for all the very helful replies.
As regards the above post, the pipes are attached to the same waste. Its only the last two years I have noticed the problem with the smell.
I don't really understand "bidet could be causing negative pressure, that's emptying he shower trap" Do you mean that by using the bidet somehow air is being pushed back up the shower trap, fitting a valve will that involve lifting shower tray, or would it help just to put a plug cover in shower waste
while not in use?
Thanks to all yet again0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards