edited 26 July 2016 at 5:12AM in Old Style MoneySaving
25 replies 2.4K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 26 July 2016 at 5:12AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 26 July 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, light cloud with some blue shining through, hopefully the sun will make an appearance. Yesterday started off very cloudy sun got out then it went cloudy and dull, still quite warm though. Load in WM will put it on the line before I leave for work.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 now getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was a joint of gammon, which I put in the oven as soon as I got in from work, I did think it might not cook in time, but it did just, also helped by the fact that DH was a bit late getting home. The gammon was served with eggs, chips/jacket potato and veg, there is some left so will need to use that in another dish, I'm thinking possibly in with some pasta as I have some cream to use up to, that may become tomorrow night's dinner. Tonight's dinner is fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Yesterday work started off very quiet for a Monday then went manic and we were busy the rest of the day and were turning people away at 3.40pm as we wouldn't have time to see them before we closed. Several people should be coming back this morning, I think today will either be as busy or flat, we'll see.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• edited 26 July 2016 at 5:30AM
    candlelight_2013candlelight_2013 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2016 at 5:30AM
    Morning all,

Thank you nmic for starting us off

Quite dull here this morning and cooler, more comfortable. I slept much better and Himself is still in bed.

We managed the back garden yesterday, he did so well. He was out there for about 4 hours, and I helped quite a lot, but I was in and out doing washing and housework as well. There were an awful lot of weeds to be sorted, as well as the lawns to be cut. I know he is nervous about overdoing things, and I do keep a close watch on him, and keeping him supplied with a coffee now and again. Even that is difficult because he is only supposed to have a litre and a half of fluid each day, but in this warm weather he has to be able to have more to keep his kidneys working . He was really chuffed with how well he had done.

We have to do a small shop today, just really on fresh stuff. I have been keeping bread rolls and such like in the fridge because it seems to turn mouldy very quickly in the heat. I have to say I haven't done a great deal of cooking recently, it is usually cold meats or fish with new potatoes or jackets and salad.

Have a good day all

Candlelightx
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, a cool, overcast day so far. I slept in the bed rather than on it last night. Have woken with a headache so clearly I am allergic to the duvet.

Hilstep, I hope you are feeling a bit better.

Congratulations on the new babies TA, sounds as though your family will be busy!

DS has been messed about for years with orthotics, has changed hospitals, hospital has changed provider, they have been very clear that his shoes have been wrong for several years. Had an appointment for new shoes fitting yesterday but they had not arrived and he is desperately upset as hasn't been able to walk properly for some months. It isn't easy to convince him that another couple of weeks isn't a very long time as this has been going on for ages.

I had better go and earn a living.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning Nmic and Candlelight,

Candlelight - Sounds like a productive gardening day, when he,s more up to it, I have a bank of bindweed that our neighbor's have thoughtfully sent our way!!!! Glad to hear Mr CL is feeling more like himself X

Working till 1 today, then off to see a good friend as its her birthday tomorrow, and we won't have a chance to see here then - also she has a new fur baby - a gorgeous rag doll boy kitten - so much love will need to be given :)

Will pop home after work and throw a curry together using the LO roast lamb and some lingering veg, I,ve got some naan in the freezer and a pack of poppadums that need using too.

Time I wasn't here - have a fab day all X
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the thread nmlc.

Still murky white / grey here with more rain I think.

I'm glad that yesterday is over and done with. It's been hanging over everyone for three weeks.

As for today, it's when I go to help an elderly neighbour with some IT problems. I think she also wants me to write some letters for her once I've sorted out the printer etc. She's still doing a bit of work and has also just prepared her first B&B room, never idle.

The grass needs another cut but it's just too wet to do. I'll fill the bird feeders up and make a pile of garden rubbish to be taken away. The plumber came the other day to uplift the unwanted immersion heater and pipes which he will take to a scrapyard.

I've got eggs and avocado for breakfast with lots of salad bits for later.

Happy Tuesday everyone.
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all

Hubby forgot to turn his alarm off so I made him a cuppa at 5:30, he's gone back to sleep now.

He had an unpleasant experience at work yesterday, the school has a regular evening booking 3 times s week and the neighbours have complained about the noise. Hubby mentioned this and was threatened by the hirer.

I'm still a bit achy after gutting DD2's garden yesterday so I might spend the day doing paperwork and some more writing I also have a pile of mending to do and 2 bags cut out ready to sew.

I collected the keys yesterday so I cat start cat/fish feeding on Saturday, We have a visitor arriving Friday and a night out on Saturday.

Next Tuesday a local charity is coming to collect some of my furniture and then they can collect the rest once the house is sold.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks for the start NMLC. It's a bit dismal looking here too but not much in the way of rain forecast and it feels mild enough. Last night was much better for sleeping thankfully and I was deep in the land of nod until the woodpigeons started "talking" to each other outside the window at daybreak.

Mr TA and I are off to Skipton today on the bus. It's not a market day so I am hoping it won't be manic with coach trippers like last time! We are going to rather a posh family wedding in Hertfordshire mid September and it's my intention to make a start looking for an outfit. I hate clothes shopping so it will be a toil of a pleasure for me! The sale is still on at House of Fraser and I am hoping I will see just the thing within five minutes of going in the door! Mr TA will go for a coffee and leave me to it as his legs are not good at standing around since last year's dramatic muscle loss.

We'll treat ourselves to lunch somewhere when I have had enough and probably get away with a snack this evening. So a no cooking day, apart from the breakfast eggs in some form or another!

Have a nice day and (((HUGS))) where wanted/needed. Happy Birthday to SPEKY, even though it's at work!! Hope there is some "movement" today FLUTTERBY! Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Nice day here again this is over a week now we have had nice weather ! almost unheard of :D off to work for me and im sure it will be busy again.

Camelot new manager seems ok but I have a few reservations, I suppose its a case of wait and see, its very early days yet.

Dinner tonight will be some tandoori chicken which I need to take out of the freezer maybe with some rice and salad.

Need to do a wash tonight.

TA what lovely news re the new baby's and beautiful names too xx

Hilstep take care of yourself xx
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Blue sky and sunny here although nicely cool at the moment.

Last day at work today as have booked Wednesday and Thursday off, just need a bit of a break really, all the office politics are driving me mad :eek:

Intend to steam clean all my tiles over the next few days, especially the ones in the en-suite which despite my best efforts have marks here and there. Would also like to start looking for new curtains in the lounge, have been saving like mad but need four pairs so will have to see. Would rather wait a couple of more months if necessary and get decent quality ones, buy cheap buy twice etc.

Have lovely kitten cuddles ISLANDmaid

Enjoy Skipton TA.
    Rest up FLUTTERBY
    :bdaycake: Happy Birthday Speky

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Speky! :bdaycake:

Morning All

Grey and miserable again, felt quite chilly last night too. Washing will have to hang around inside again.

I was getting on quite well with making a bag yesterday and then ran out of the right colour thread, will have to go this morning and get some more.

Enjoyed my swim yesterday till they roped off a section for a class, makes it very hard to turn, hoping there's nothing on this morning.

Meeting a friend this afternoon for a late lunch, looking forward to it as I've not seen her for ages.

Have a good day. Take care. XX
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning [/FONT] :hello:
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Happy Birthday Speky :bdaycake:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Millie Chick has recovered and is back to her normal self :smiley: I went down to the shed on friday night to lock the girls away, did a head count and realised Ruby was missing. I hunted around the garden and found her, she had died sometime during the evening :sad: She was fine at teatime. She wasn't ill but was around six years old so just old age. I'd had her since she was one day old, she almost died at two weeks old so I spent a lot of time with her, hand feeding and cleaning her so I was particularly attached to her. The other girls were very quiet on saturday but are back to normal now.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi's life is a comedy of errors :D I bought a long lead (30 feet) so he can trot around the local park but keep safe from the roads either side. Well I think I need lessons with it, lol – it was fine for the first few days then yesterday he spotted a new dog way off in the distance (husky, he hates them and I don't know why) and went into a spinning tantrum. Ended up with his back and front left legs tied together, he was trying to run away but couldn't, he was still cross with the poor husky so was barking, I was trying to get him untangled at the same time as grabbing his attention. He was perfectly calm by the time we got home, I was not! I had (and still have) a very limpy leg and missing skin from rope burn on my right hand. Could have done with a very large brandy when I got home :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll just be pottering about today, my leg won't let me move fast and my hand won't grip anything without pain. I'm going to attempt to use the hoover with my left hand, I'll probably give up quicky because my left hand is completely uncoordinated :D If it's too difficult I'll give up and change my paperwork day to today. I hate switching days around, it messes up my whole week, lol.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides