Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Options

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm thrilled to read how much things are looking up for you Bob, if anyone deserves it, it's you - an amazing amount of effort put in as always :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    That's amazing new and I'm over the moon to read your update. Whilst I have no experience in running my own business, I assume a lot of it is trial an error. I keep thinking of that song 'if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself and try again' (Alliyah). Rather than giving up when we don't succeed, we should treat it as a learning experience.

That's a great motivating thought Chanie I think the learning holds for employed & self employed folk too.
    sashybo wrote: »
    Glad to hear things are picking up Bob, well done. :j:T

Thanks Sashy
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    I'm thrilled to read how much things are looking up for you Bob, if anyone deserves it, it's you - an amazing amount of effort put in as always :)

Thank you so much!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Brilliant news, Bob - long may the flow of interest and bookings continue :) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds great Bob! Keep going xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Bobarella
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Brilliant news, Bob - long may the flow of interest and bookings continue :) xx

Thanks you!
    Sounds great Bob! Keep going xx

Thanks!
    1LuckyLady wrote: »
    Fantastic news Bob, you deserve some good luck.

Thanks a lot!

• Bobarella
    Options
    Morning

Wednesday. Just had a call from one of the new platforms I'm listed on to say I have an enquiry already! Think the photos only went live on Monday.

Wealth

* Yesterday I did have an annoyance. My cheap pay as you go mobile which I use for my work line had a fault with the speaker all of a sudden. So people were calling and couldn't hear me at all. I still had the reciept and as it was only from Sainsburys I went down there to get a new one. Of course nothing is that simple. The Sainsburys mobile shop is closing in a month (market forces?) So they didn't have the model I bought in stock and aren't recieving anymore stock.My only option was a refund.
    Annoyingly they wouldn't do the refund despite me having the reciept, unless the box and charger were also there. All for a phone that cost £30. So I had to walk all the way home with both children to collect it and return.
    Then the nearest model they could offer was £60! No I didn't want to put another £30 of my money towards a replacement. So they advised me to go to Carphone warehouse across the retail park. I did and in the end managed to get away with only spending a further £9. Job done.

* I'm sure I'm not the only parent wringing their hands at the cost of food whilst the children are off. My son seems to pound it down. He was asking for a cuppa soup and crackers at 9am. After I'd turned down his request for chocolate buttons and crisps! He wakes up so early (6am) each day that I'm sure he thinks lunchtime should be 10am. My spends are way up these last two weeks. I feel mean but it's all the extras like smoothies and fruit that he wants that add loads to the bill. Sigh.

* OH has been into the office every day so far this week which also adds onto our costs. It's £7.70 on his oyster each day. However I have literally not stepped foot on a bus or anything else since school broke up so we've saved a small amount per day there.

* Just wrapped up a little birthday present for a little girl and used some of our stash of pretty used paper. It helps :)

* Have so many leads at the moment but impatient to gather in deposits. Have to be a bit slowly slowly sometimes with some customers.....

* Our gas and electricity bill has gone back to being very low after we switched the heating off last month. Only £58 due at the end of this month. Which is so nice after 4 months of £95 a month.

Health

* Everyone is actually fine for once! MIL has recovered well from her last op and is now pain free. We are all so glad.

Organisation

The main project that needs progressing is the garden tidy. It gets me down seeing the weeds front and back. But unless someone invents a time machine, I honestly can't see myself getting round to it anytime soon.

Have a good day everyone.

Bob

• Bobarella
    Options
    Hummmm tricky one. I had to decline the new enquiry. The booking they were after was a whole month but only a month away. I have bookings up to end of June. I'm working hard on client management and building relationships with the small local businesses that want to use us. Building a reputation for the market areas I want to be known for.

Very difficult to know how the big long term booking, and small short term events bookings are going to balance out.

I can't very well just say to people the whole place won't be available for ages but do check back at some point. Very difficult one to balance....

Also, say you get a big chunk of money for one booking. But you know they will only be staying a month. How do you go about doing viewings and things in the meantime for the future?

• mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon Bob,

Totally with you on the food situation. My 2 do get up a bit later now so not as bad but they used to be asking when lunchtime was from 9am :cool:

I do think you've made the right decision with the declining of the booking, it wouldn't be good to start annoying people who have already made bookings with you!

Yay to the gas bill xx
    Mummytogirls x

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    I agree about the booking - it's a tough one to juggle as you say, and maybe if it was in 6 months you could be saying to other clients 'get in quick, all of October's booked up!' but with it being so quick you don't have time to organise around it!

Must be a truly tough decision to make though.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It must be difficult to turn down business but I guess you don't want all you eggs in one basket. It would be nicer to have repeat bookings from many businesses rather than one.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure