Anyone use part worn tyres?

Options
Paradigm
Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
As a stopgap to get him home I got one fitted for my boy with the intention of replacing it with the unused (but flat, that's kids for you) spare later.

Continental sports contact, fitted & balanced for £20. I measured the tread & it's got just over 5.5mm.

Seems like a bargain to me :)
Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!

Comments

• bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    I have used loads of part worn tyres.

The shop may sometimes attempt to sell to a budget part worn which I can't see the point of when a decent make will be a similar or identical price.

As long as the seller is reputable and you check the tyre over prior to fitment then it's all good.

The only caveat is that some of the budget Korean brands such as Nexen are now not much more expensive than a part worn.

Nexen are now OE fitment on some brand new Kias for example.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Goodyear Eagle F1's, £30 each.

http://www.partworntyrestore.com/

Will keep going back.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Goodyear Eagle F1's, £30 each.

http://www.partworntyrestore.com/

Will keep going back.

He seems to have found a nice little niche market.

On his buy online section he seems to stock lots of expensive, premium brand SUV tyres. I would rather have a used Premium tyre on an SUV/4x4 instead of something like a LingLong.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used part worn before but probably wouldn't unless it was a quick fix or planned to sell the car / wheels

Last time one of the tyres was really old and the sidewall ripped in 2 places in the space of a week. The impacts from the road and the shockwave through through the tyre caused the perished sidewall to split
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2016 at 4:28PM
    Options
    They're a false economy...........

Part worn tyres generally have 3mm of tread left, some a little more. basically they are scrap tyres imported from Europe (mainly Germany), where the minimum tread requirement is 3mm.

Say you buy a 3mm part worn tyre, the limit in the UK is 1.2mm, so that's going give you (for example) in the region of 5000 miles use, 1.5mm worth (0.3mm is Sierra Foxtrot Aplha).

A new tyre comes with 8mm of tread, at the same wear rate that's 32000+ miles.

Some numbers:

New tyre = £90 = 32000 miles
    Part Worn = £20 = 5000 miles

Using part worn tyres your looking at around £128 to cover 32000 miles.
    Plus additional costs, like fuel to get to the tyre place, maybe an hour off work 6.5 times in those 32000 miles (32000 / 5000) and then lets not even get into the safety implications of tyre beading being distorted by different wheels to your own.

It's money saving stupidity akin to putting £2.50 worth of petrol in your car each day.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2016 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »

Part worn tyres generally have 3mm of tread left, some a little more. basically they are scrap tyres imported from Europe (mainly Germany), where the minimum tread requirement is 3mm.

Say you buy a 3mm part worn tyre, the limit in the UK is 1.2mm, so that's going give you (for example) in the region of 5000 miles use, 1.5mm worth (0.3mm is Sierra Foxtrot Aplha).

Some numbers:

Plus additional costs, like fuel to get to the tyre place, maybe an hour off work 6.5 times in those 32000 miles (32000 / 5000) and then lets not even get into the safety implications of tyre beading being distorted by different wheels to your own.

It's money saving stupidity akin to putting £2.50 worth of petrol in your car each day.

You obviously missed the part that said "Continental sports contact, fitted & balanced for £20. I measured the tread & it's got just over 5.5mm."
    Try working your numbers again...
    Oh & since when has the legal limit in the UK been 1.2mm?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »

Some numbers:

So much fail I just don't know where to start.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2016 at 5:02PM
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    You obviously missed the part that said "Continental sports contact, fitted & balanced for £20. I measured the tread & it's got just over 5.5mm."
    Try working your numbers again...
    Oh & since when has the legal limit in the UK been 1.2mm?

Show me where your guaranteed to get more than 3mm tread from a part worn retailer........

Typically you don't know what your going to get until it's fitted, so regardless of what was mentioned in OP, you can't go out and expect to get that sort of tread every time. BUT I can go out and get a new tyre and know exactly what i'm going to get.

Don't bother trying to mash together a reply, just go search the internet........
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/10683928/Part-worn-tyre-warning.html

http://www.partworn-tyres.co.uk/

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a stopgap they are fine. I've never had a Continental tyre last more than 15,000 miles. I've had 40k from a set of Michelins and normally get 30k minimum from them.
    The man without a signature.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    people get really hung upon the words part worn tyre thinking it is the end of the world

we all run part worn tyres with unknown history every time we buy a used car and nobody bats an eyelid about this

if it is a good make of tyre with good tread and it suits your needs then just run with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure