We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
is this good window job
Comments
-
I would hazard a guess he is not FENSA registered. Windows look fitted well, though there is no sill on the door, very little on the window. There are also no weep holes on the door and I can't see the window clear enough to see if there is adequate drainage for the window. The underside of the window sill will also need sealing but there should be none on the outside between the sill and the actual window frame.0
-
I would hazard a guess he is not FENSA registered. Windows look fitted well, though there is no sill on the door, very little on the window. There are also no weep holes on the door and I can't see the window clear enough to see if there is adequate drainage for the window. The underside of the window sill will also need sealing but there should be none on the outside between the sill and the actual window frame.
I cannot comment on how well the windows have been fixed because the fixings are probably hidden, There appears to be expanding foam above the window. Has this foam been used elsewhere as a fixing? Only OP can answer this and if the answer is yes, without any other fixings, think carefully about the builders competence.
I am mystified by the detail at the base of the door. My immediate reaction is do not expect Building Control to sign off this without questions on step height, dpc location, lapping and integrity and so on. Indeed it may not receive a sign off as it runs counter to Part M ethos.0 -
Thank you for your reply and others. Building control supposed to come and sign the work as that was agreed from the start. They keep making mistakes though and trying to justify it. I asked towel radiator in my shower room and asked to replace my radiator in hallway with smaller one. He bought a radiator for hallway and left it in kitchen. His tiler came, tiled the kitchen and installed that radiator in shower room. I said he put there the wrong radiator. He talks to his boss and comes back saying that radiator was bought for shower room because towel radiator wont fit there. Then goes and buys same size radiator for hallway and fits it there. I am really fed up with their mistakes.I think I will get a quote from my local window company to do the rest of my house. These builders doing my bathroom from monday too and wondering now if I should cancel.I cannot comment on how well the windows have been fixed because the fixings are probably hidden, There appears to be expanding foam above the window. Has this foam been used elsewhere as a fixing? Only OP can answer this and if the answer is yes, without any other fixings, think carefully about the builders competence.
I am mystified by the detail at the base of the door. My immediate reaction is do not expect Building Control to sign off this without questions on step height, dpc location, lapping and integrity and so on. Indeed it may not receive a sign off as it runs counter to Part M ethos.0 -
Only an idot in a hurry would leave windows not sealed like that, is it a good job?, no, it isn't.
Where on earth is the door going to drain to? with no cill and a concrete base that extend as far as the door outer face.
People see nice rubber seals to the inside and outside of plastic doors and presume they are water tight, well they absolutely are not.
When it rains a good amount of rainwater runs down the outer face and gets past the outer seal. Normally it drain to the outside and out over the cill via drilled holes in the frame base. Yours is sat on concrete. Sealed or not? hopefully not as if it sealed on the outside, if the water builds up in the door recess it can only do 1 of 3 things, leak into the inner wall or the side walls or over flow the recess in the frame base.
Close the door securely and hurl a couple of buckets of water over that door, (from the outside :rotfl::rotfl:) give it five, then open and check for water inside of frame.
Raise these issues with him.I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.
Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)
Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed0 -
Can't comment on the quality of work itself but we have a similar door and window in our garage, and we opted for that type because they were much cheaper than other options. I don't mean to alarm you but our garage door and windows are definitely not of the same quality as our house door and windows but we didn't worry about that too much because we are not going to live in the garage obviously, so went with the lowest possible cost.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards