We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Removing screw with no head
mutley74
Posts: 4,052 Forumite
Hi
I need to remove a screw from the plate on a door catch cover.
Two small screws are in approx 4mm, but both heads have been worn out completely.
I have tried using a rubber band and some pressure, no luck.
I look at an extractor kit from Screwfix but it seems to big for the screw and not sure how to use it (as it was one side end only).
I can get pliers or a grip on the screw as its seated into the plate screw holes flush.
Any tips welcome.
I need to remove a screw from the plate on a door catch cover.
Two small screws are in approx 4mm, but both heads have been worn out completely.
I have tried using a rubber band and some pressure, no luck.
I look at an extractor kit from Screwfix but it seems to big for the screw and not sure how to use it (as it was one side end only).
I can get pliers or a grip on the screw as its seated into the plate screw holes flush.
Any tips welcome.
0
Comments
-
drill the head off:www: Saving for first house - £67,000/£50K :www: :cool: smashed it!
:starmod: Save 12k in 2016 - No#129 - £0/£6000 :starmod: too greedy with house pot...0 -
lol_omg_!!!!!! wrote: »drill the head off
if i do this, how i can refix the plate back in position (it just needs a minor alteration) to allow the door to catch it.0 -
If you drill it like L-O-W says you'll be able to lift the plate away, and you maybe able to get small stiltsons on what's left of the screws, or saw a new head on it.Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
What it may grow to in time, I know not what.
Daniel Defoe: 1725.
0 -
hmm well at that point you may be able to get some grips on whats left, after removing the plate.
If not you could drill 2 more holes in the plate, then with a larger drill bit countersink them yourself.
a picture may generate more ideas?:www: Saving for first house - £67,000/£50K :www: :cool: smashed it!
:starmod: Save 12k in 2016 - No#129 - £0/£6000 :starmod: too greedy with house pot...0 -
no idea how to post photoslol_omg_!!!!!! wrote: »
a picture may generate more ideas?0 -
-
yesterday i put on some titanium drill bits and tried drilling through the screw. It would not drill through it but seemed to be melting the head! After a few minutes alternating drill bit size and between the screws, i could see most of the head worn off. Managed to pull the plate off to refix a new one. Thanks for the tips, hoping theres an easier way next time to remove worn worn screws.0
-
I've done a few knackered screws. IF the extractor kit doesn't work (usually doesn't) you can use a dremmel to cut a slot into the top of the screw head, or if the head has some off you can cut a slot into the screw shaft underneath. Works perfectlyChanging the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.0
-
I bought some Ezgrip paste on ebay a while ago which works well on worn out screw heads and nuts. It's a gritty oily paste which does seem to give a decent grip even on very rounded nuts or worn screw heads.
I had one of those security wheel nut locks go bad and this stuff helped get the wheel nut off.
Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums0 -
i was going to buy this but not sure how to use it. A you tube video i saw had a different type of kit in use, with two ended headed.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards