MissCreative's journey to financial freedom!

edited 19 April 2017 at 1:48PM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
76 replies 8.5K views

Replies

• PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 Posts
    Technically could I open a FlexDirect account and transfer £1,000 over from my Santander 123...then immediately transfer it back apart from what I'm looking to save?

DH not keen on switching current accounts...but if that's a way round it great.:beer:
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • MissCreativeMissCreative Forumite
    90 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you can do that - but take a look at this article which explains how to do it :)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-loophole
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at £127,500

End of fix goal: £75,000 by September 2024
  • zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with natwest and this week I opened up a select acc online in a matter of seconds. I've set up two dd's for £1 a month each to charities I support. I've been accepted for an M&s acc & I intend to switch my extra Natwest acc whilst keeping thins I've had for over 25 hrs as my main acc.
  • PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 Posts
    I'm excited now girls it's all coming together!!!

Gonna read that link again MC - get my head around switching for more cash :-)
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • Hi, enjoying your diary! I was 27 and 364 days when we bought our house and I've been mad about paying it off since! I share your MF by 40 dream, hopefully we can support each other to make it happen!
    :)
    90 Posts
    That's a great idea ZC. If I open a new account that needs DDs I'll probably set some up to charities too :)

Thanks ZoPig2016! Definitely! If you have/start a mortgage diary let me know :j
    Currently at £127,500

90 Posts
    Opening my Nationwide app yesterday and comparing to the day before, the total seemed to have gone up by £17.17, and opening it today it's done the same thing!
    So much interest! :eek:

So at this point, at the end of the month, I'd be wanting to look at what's left and pop it towards our emergency fund/mortgage, but since we have £1250 of car repairs and servicing next month it's all going towards that! :(
    If it was up to me we wouldn't even have a car, but got to let DH have his 'precious' :rotfl:

DH (aka Mr Instant Gratification) starts in his promotion on Monday so he'll be happy with his spending money in September after his first bigger paycheque. Next month's going to be tough on him as he's probably going to blow most of his leftover money at an Audi festival in Northampton and moan the rest of the month about having no money :p

I'll be popping my monthly budget on here tomorrow/Saturday after I've been through it with DH. :)
    Currently at £127,500

• edited 28 July 2016 at 1:59PM
    MissCreativeMissCreative Forumite
    90 Posts
    edited 28 July 2016 at 1:59PM
    We have a friend staying with us at the moment, from yesterday to tomorrow, and DH is going out with him and our friend who's now living with us, so I have the flat to myself tonight :j
    Nothing fancy for dinner (probably the exact opposite of fancy!) as I'll probably have leftover pizza from yesterday's pizza and video games night. Could I sound more millennial? :rotfl:

Tonight's to dos - most likely not in order:
    • Wash up and wipe surfaces in kitchen
    • Pop a colour wash on and hang it up on the airer
    • Put clothes currently on airer away in the wardrobe
    • Give the living room a tidy
    • Gather forms of ID to open Nationwide account
    • Charge Fitbit
    • Charge Kindle
    • Browse Goodreads for a new book
    • Skype family
    And I'm taking a day of annual leave tomorrow, just because :cool:
    Tomorrow's plan - most likely in order:
    • Go swimming at the gym
    • Open FlexDirect account at Nationwide
    • Return library books
    • Have free tea and cake at John Lewis
    • Payday! Buy small socks for Summer shoes
    • Bake something for DH's parents
    • Pack for weekend at DH's parent's
    Having walked to John Lewis and back before (over 7 miles!) I estimate I'll do about 20,000-25,000 steps tomorrow - hence the Fitbit charging tonight ;)
    And with the swimming, and leg day on Saturday, I think I'll allow myself a nice glass of wine or two at the weekend :T
    Currently at £127,500

• poddle911poddle911 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Hello MissCreative! Good luck with your MF journey - very impressive motivation! I'm a bit older than you (10 years :o ) and just getting to grips with the mortgage on our house, the second rung on our property ladder... I wish we had the facility to check our mortgage balance online, but the Britannia system is SO old-fashioned. We have to phone them up if we want a balance or to let them know which part of our mortgage we want the OP to go to. Ah well, it's still going in the right direction.

We opened Nationwide Flex accounts last year and it was totally worth it to get the switching bonus and interest. We opened a 'donor' account with Coop first (separate to main current account), set up a couple of direct debits to new Tesco instant savers and then switched the Coop account to get £125 bonus. Not sure they're still doing that, but if not get a friend to recommend you here and you both get £100

Sorry to ramble on your thread! Enjoy your day off :beer:
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    90 Posts
    Hi Poddle! You didn't ramble haha.
    Wow, I couldn't cope with that! My brain likes to be able to see my finances very regularly or it's get frazzled! :shocked:
    I'll have a think about opening a 'dummy' account before I switch - it's a good idea. I can get DH to do it too and pop double the money on the mortgage :D
    Currently at £127,500

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum