MissCreative's journey to financial freedom!

edited 19 April 2017 at 1:48PM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
76 replies 8.5K views

Replies

• PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 Posts
    Hi MC

£21 for food is awesome - I managed a £40 shop this week and thought I'd done well...any tips?

:cool::cool::cool:
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • MissCreativeMissCreative Forumite
    90 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi PennyJar! :)

It's only for me and DH, no little mouths to feed haha, and I haven't got meals for this weekend as we're at my in-law's, but my usual shop would probably be about £25/£30 - depending on how many healthy ingredients I stock up on that week :p

This week's was quite cheap as I went to Asda just before they closed and picked up a fajita chicken and rice bake for £2 and a bbq pork joint for £2.97. I cooked that up yesterday (smelled amazing) and have popped it in the freezer for next week as DH has decided he's having dinner with friends tomorrow and Thursday.

I think why my shop might be cheaper is that we don't buy a lot of meat - we usually have things like roasted vegetables with pesto and pasta, or pasta with vegetables in a creme fraiche and mustard sauce. Lots of pasta! Jacket potatoes also make an appearance.

If we do buy meat it's usually to batch cook something like spaghetti bolognase sauce or cottage pie where I'll freeze leftovers, or a stew that I bulk out with veg.

With anything I cook I tend to do double the servings so we have it the next day, or 2 days after, and that saves me cooking too much in the week, plus it means you don't have to buy lots of different ingredients for lots of different recipes and everything gets used.
    :T

I think I'll pop a shopping list and meal plan on here next Sunday or Monday so everyone can see what I've got for the week :)
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at £127,500

End of fix goal: £75,000 by September 2024
    90 Posts
    Oh, also, the friend who's moved in with us now pays us to give him a serving of what we cook sometimes because he doesn't cook and this way he actually gets a proper meal with vegetables instead of a pizza or Chinese takeaway!
    We generally offer at about £2.50 a serving, maybe £2 if the particular recipe is cheaper, around 3 - 4 times a week.

That's not included in my £20 total for this week though as he may change his plans and not want a meal.

He did have a bit of the fajita bake yesterday though, but since it was so cheap we just charged him 75p :rotfl:
    So that takes this week's shop down to just over £19 if we're being exact!

Last week we he had 3 meals so he paid us £7.50.
    I think that week's shop was around £26, so that put our total to about £18.50 :T
    Currently at £127,500

114 Posts
    That's really good - I bought freezer bags to start batch cooking last week. Be great to see your wkly shop and I'll do mine so you we can swap any recipe ideas.

£50 is better as used to spend£100 for me and DH, but DD is still feeding from me so I think we could still save a bit more on that.

I think it's fab your charge your friend...maybe I start asking neighbours round :rotfl:
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    90 Posts
    That would be great PennyJar :) I'll pop my shopping list and meal plan on here this Sunday or Monday.
    I look forward to seeing your's and sharing tips! :T
    Currently at £127,500

114 Posts
    Hi Gallygirl,

My rate is 3.49% so also considering whether to put money away into a savings account, but like MissCreative will need to be disciplined not to touch it.

Not too clued up on savings - me and DH have never saved :eek:...so excuse probable school girl question, but would it be better to put my money into an ISA first to avoid tax - then a savings account? Any tips be appreciated :p

Thanks,
    PennyJar
  • katep23katep23 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi PJ, from April this year you can now earn £1,000 interest tax free (£500 if you are a higher rate tax payer) so ISAs are not necessarily the best idea if you are going to earn less than that per year.

As Gally mentions, lots of current accounts offer better rates than savings accounts at the moment - check out the main site for details but if you are prepared to move money around each month you can get 5% on £2k with TSB, 5% on £2.5k with Nationwide, 4% on £5k with Lloyds etc.
    114 Posts
    Thanks KateP,

Much appreciated
    90 Posts
    I agree with Katep23, ISAs are generally not the best place to keep your money at the moment.
    One of my tasks on my day off this Friday is to open a FlexDirect account at Nationwide and ask about the savings account I'll then have access to that also does 5% :)
    Currently at £127,500

90 Posts
    Finally made it to £20 on Prolific Academic and when the last two of my survey submissions are accepted I'll create a PayPal account and receive my first ever money from surveys! :j
    It feels a bit too easy haha.

I've been contemplating switched to M&S due to the potential £220 gain, but DH and I really like the Natwest mobile banking services and rely on them quite a bit, so we're going to stick with Natwest for now and once we've got our savings sorted we'll look into switching again.
    Too much finance stuff at once will overload my brain! :shocked:

Debating between TSB current account at 5% up to £2000 or Nationwide's 5% up to £2500. Looking at it like that it's a no brainer, but TSB only needs £500 deposited each month whereas Nationwide needs £1000.
    We only have £1950 of savings at the moment because we've been overpaying a lot, but I would like to get that up to £2500 for emergencies, then add a few hundred each month for service charges and holidays, which will be taken out every 6 months or so.
    Maybe I should open one of each, keep the £1900 (eventually £2500) in the Nationwide account, and do the savings loop thing where I bounce £1000 back and forth each month, putting the service charge and holiday money into TSB?
    So many options! :rotfl:

I downloaded the Nationwide mobile app yesterday - can't believe I didn't think of doing it before :o
    Now it's so much easier to open up the app, look at my huge mortgage debt, close the app, and [STRIKE]cry[/STRIKE] feel really determined to cut it down as much as possible :p
    Currently at £127,500

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides