A pound stretching maternity

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The meeting went well. I'm all signed up to supply from September until I go on maternity leave. I just hope I get a bit of work from them.

I managed to do the laundry today and went through the freezer. I didn't pick up the pjs from Debenhams as I hadn't received an email to say they were ready, and collecting them meant quite a walk and my pelvis is painful today. I'll wait until I've had confirmation that they're in, and will try over the weekend!

I popped to the supermarket when I was out, and spent £15! Oops! I did buy meat for Sunday lunch, a spare joint for the freezer, chicken drumsticks as well as a few other bits and bobs. I need to add that onto YNAB.

Ds is much better today. Far from 100% but is being a cheeky monkey, so definitely on the mend! Hasn't needed paracetamol at all, just his antibiotics. Dh came home from work a little early, but is back out at work now finishing off a local job. He shouldn't be too late tonight now. Ha....talk of the devil......the front door has just opened!

Time for a quiet weekend now.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    8:20am!

I slept until 8:20am!!

That's a massive lie in.

Ds seems much better again today.

I'm popping to Aldi later to stock up on household products for the next month. I have a budget of £30, and want to include all household bits in that such as toilet paper, cleaning products, washing gel, shampoo, etc. I'm hoping that by doing one big shop a month, then the rest of the money for the month will be just for food!

5 days until pay day. Yay!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Here goes a spendy afternoon! I've decided as there is 25% off wine in Tesco to start my Christmas stock piling now! Being almost 6 months pregnant, the chance of me drinking any before Christmas is zero :rotfl:

Port and sherry are on the list as well as wine and cava. Thought I'd get some bottles as gifts for others as well as they're reduced. Here goes!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    That was an expensive afternoon. I haven't update YNAB yet, it's on tomorrow's to-do list!!

I spent:
    School shoes for ds: £61 (though my mum will be paying me back £36). He had gone up a whole shoe size since he was last measured so needed new trainers as well.
    Wine: £19 (had a £40 voucher to use)
    Slippers for ds: £7 (thought we'd better get him new as he's had the same ones for months)
    Aldi: £29.69 (31p under budget....yay!!) we got all the household bits we needed and also stocked up on a few other bits such as tea bags, beans, tomato puree, etc. We should have enough toilet paper, kitchen towel, cleaning products, fabric conditioner, etc to last us for the whole of September.

Just under £117 spent, but will be getting £36 of it back.

For the £19 wine shop (after the voucher) we got 2 bottles of Port, a bottle of sherry, 2 bottles of prosecco, 2 bottles of ros! cava, 1 nice bottle of red (for me once baby is here) and 6 bottles of wine to go as part of Christmas gifts (2 will be for friends, 2 for ds's teacher/teaching assistant and the other 2 will go in the gift drawer as they're always handy for someone we've forgotten (could be a midwife gift by that point). The 2 spares are the only type of white wine that I don't like, so no risk that I'll have my eyes on them after baby is here!

in other financial news.....

I applied for, and approved for, another credit card. :eek: Sounds dangerous, but it's all for a good reason. Our car insurance is due soon, and I figured we'd get a cc with 12 months 0% on purchases to pay for the insurance in one go, and pay it off over the 12 months as we do now (but will end up costing us less). The credit card is. A cashback one at 0.5%, which should get us over £10 back, plus by taking the card out through topcashback we'll have £29.29 cashback. I'm also going to look for a good cashback deal for the car insurance to maximise on what we gain. I will set up a direct debit to pay off the annual amount/12 each month so after 12 months it will all have been paid!

Right, I'd better get some beauty sleep as we live by a railway line, and have had a letter saying that Network rail will be working on the track from around 3 tomorrow morning. Oh the joys!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Oooooh, I forgot to mention I picked up my maternity pyjamas. They are the most comfortable pair of pyjamas I've even worn. Very happy with that purchase!!
  • MrsSave
    edited 21 August 2016 at 6:32PM
    Options
    Slept through network rail, was woken by son's coughing at just gone 7. The rail people are still there now, but not as noisy as I thought.

I could definitely get used to this sleeping through the night business.

today's to-do list
    • [STRIKE]Check Tesco credit card[/STRIKE],
    • [STRIKE]Check bank accounts[/STRIKE],
    • [STRIKE]Update last 2 days of spending on YNAB[/STRIKE],
    • [STRIKE]Laundry[/STRIKE],
    • [STRIKE]Cook a roast dinner[/STRIKE],
    • [STRIKE]Hot chocolate, whipped cream and marshmallows afternoon (we've got all the ingredients here already, and the weather looks dull and grey!),[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Update CV and email to the supply agency ready for September[/STRIKE].
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you have got some good bits. Thanks for the wine idea for Christmas with the discount! Glad to hear you're nearly all fully recovered.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Sounds like you have got some good bits. Thanks for the wine idea for Christmas with the discount! Glad to hear you're nearly all fully recovered.

No problem. I usually start my Christmas food and drink stash from September, by adding something each week to my weekly shop, but couldn't resist the wine shopping! It's the closest I'll get to wine for a while!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Spent all morning on the accounts. I have sat and talked dh through them, as he showed an interest (at long last). I think he got worried when I asked him what would happen if I end up in hospital for a little while (was in quite a few days with ds, about 5 in total)? Who would make sure there was enough money in the bills account? Did he know how to transfer money to the bills account at the beginning of each month?

I also asked him what he would do if he wanted to buy something but didn't want me to see it on the credit card account. Where would he get the money from? We've sat and gone through it all. I've showed him how to use YNAB on his phone and the ipad as well as the laptop. He's phoned up for a pin number for one of his cards (he's forgotten it). I'm usually the one that says we need to look over money, but he's the one that mentioned it this time, so fingers crossed...........

I've also added a few subcategories to YNAB for things we always have to find money for (ds school pics is one of them........they're around £30 a time when he's at nursery so I'm assuming school will be similar, and money for Christmas days out - a quick trip to see Santa can cost a fortune!).

The washing machine is going, and the living room has been dusted and hoovered. So far a successful Sunday morning!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    NSD

Yippee!!

Managed to tick everything off the to-do list. I've also had channel 5 on for most of the afternoon! Yes, I'm a big Christmas nut!! Nothing better than a couple of cheesy Christmas films, even in August!

We've been discussing baby names as well this afternoon. I think we're between 2 now. It's such a difficult decision to make.

I've got a consultant appointment tomorrow, as well as seeing my midwife. I need to remember to ask for my MATB1 form so that work will sort out my maternity entitlement, and then I also need to book my whooping cough jab.

4 more days until payday. I am worried that I'm wishing my life away a little!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts