ZC's Aim for a little independence

Options

Comments

• zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all.

Rather expensive day today as I have paid for my teeth retainers. All out of ynab funds though. And I have straight shiny white beautiful teeth which I LOVE!! Nose to the grindstone now on the run up to xmas to build up my reserves again.

What's everyone's plans for the weekend? Home and chores day for me tomorrow whilst Dh works then on Sunday we're going out for a family meal. Looking at the weather forecast I think we'll be coming home to the fire and a film!
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Frugal win today. Went to beefeater because we had a 40% off voucher and a voucher for 2 free puddings. The meal
    Should have coat £75 but with vouchers was down to £43:beer::beer:

Even better was I actually forgot the flipping voucher an Beefeater honoured it. Full marks to them. V impressed.

Last grocery shop of the month in and if I can make it last it'll bring me in at £350 for the month which is the lowest it's been in a loooong time.

Had a stinking cold all week so am enjoying being snuggled up in front of the fire and a film!
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Hello. So the stinking cold resulted in a last minute Asda trip where the ingredients for cupcakes turned into a whole basket of completely essential ice cream, magazines for the kids & wine. £40 later.....

However, it's still within my ynab budget and in previous months I'd have emptied out other categories so it's not too bad.

Have spent £385 on dd's 4th birthday present������ but again all well within ynab and we should get 10 years use out of it.

Next months budget is looking lean and I can't understand why. This month I was able to add £100 to my emergency fund and next months it's 13p!! Not sure why!

The other unexpected expense this week was take that tickets @ £72.13. Blimey o Riley gary, mark Et al do well out of their fans!!

I think the lesson is when I'm frugal most of the time I don't feel guilty splashing out on these extras if they're within budget. Whereas if I've had a frivolous month I don't feel I deserve it.

What's everyone up to this weekend?
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Morning all. So my end of the month update is that I made my first monthly o/p by DD of £131 pm. Didn't manage to add anything to my savings this month because of my teeth but I'm happy with the overall budget categories in YNAB are looking quite healthy!

Had a bit of spendy day yesterday of £30 ish at the school summer fayre but it kept the kids entertained and all for a good cause. Really tired today and could do with a day off but DH is working so kids party here I come!

Have a good day all.
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Evening all.

Bit of a ynab sesh today and realised that for the first time in a month the interest has gone out of my mortgage account and I'm still under 60k!!! Interest paid was £190 instead of the more recent £196 as well.

Have had a bit of a speedy weekend. Had my first dinner party last night which I may have got slightly carried away with! 'Twas much fun though. Need a frugal few weeks on the food front to come in under budget though.

Getting fed up of working now - dh'd last day off was in June ��
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Afternoon all.

Just received my annual mortgage statement. I've managed to o/p by £400 this year which I'm quite pleased with as we had a big move. I paid over £120 less interest than the previous year.

Ynab budgets are still looking healthy which is fab. Quite a low spend week so far but half term coming up so may creep up a bit.

Hope everyone is well
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Urgh. Got a horrid cold which is into into it's 3rd week now. SO fed up of being poorly. It's taken it's toll on the whole family as I'm snotty and grumpy, not getting my work done and we're eating out way too much. Bad for the wallet and the health. £26 in McDonald's tonight.

DH has finished his really long days now though so hopefully he'll be around a little bit. What's the bet he gets the cold now!!

Half term has begun for us. DC get two weeks off here. Lots of downtime needed as they're both shattered. Hoping to plan a day trip to the Tim Peake Spaceship at Peterborough.

So it's 10 weeks till Xmas and I'm setting myself some goals. I like a good goal.

1) lose 10lbs by eating healthy food and running 3 times a week

2) run 10K in Nov.

3) Deep clean a room a week so the house sparkles. Will probably need to declutter each week first.

And for half term get the DC to
    Read
    Write
    Run
    Every day. Just a few lines of the first two and half an hour of the last.

Right. 3 coffees later and I reckon I can shower and tidy up now!
  • Couldsavemore
    Options
    *waves* hello.

I've enjoyed eeading your diary.

Like you, I'm trying to budget into multiple pots.

Half term already?? We've another 2 weeks to go.

Hope your enjoying the running. I've been lazy with that (as well as the budget, the cleaning etc)

I've entered tge great north swim.. so I've been swimming today.

My small one has been out with his dad.

Hope you feel better soon
    # 36 1p challenge 2024 - £462.46

#13 POYD by Christmas 24  £2400 
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Zcrat!

I noticed you mentioned Cash & Carry, what do you get there? It is really worth it by the time you add travel? We do not have one very close but we could take a trip to one sometime, I just wonder if it's worth it for a normal household (ie you are not a business that could reclaim VAT etc).

You asked about average spend re shopping, we are 2 adults and 1 7 year old who I make lunches for school every day. We all eat homemade, and very rarely eat out or buy convenience food so our average is £240 a month. I scratch cook and bulk make meals & freeze as much as poss, usually during the weekend so that evening meals in the week are easy.

Hope you feel better soon, I had a horrible cold Monday which had gone by Weds ish - the Fri it made a reappearance! Fine by yesterday afternoon though.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Hello to the visitors and welcome!

couldsavemore - ds has two weeks off! The swim sounds amazing if not a little cold!

Eager learner - we get stuff for the farm for cash and carry so its easy to get a few bits for the house as well. To be honest most stuff isn't cheaper than when it's on offer in the supermarket. The only things o get that are definitely cheaper are massive tubs of spices and coffee. Otherwise it's more convenience than anything. Eg you can get huuuuge puddings that are great for parties. I wouldn't make a special visit unless I had stuff to get for the farm too. Wow your grocery spend is low. I cant get it below £320 and that's at a real push!

Still got this cold, getting so fed up now. On the bright side though I managed to get ds to eat "get well soup" aka lentil and garlic!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback