PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Got to love Auntie Beeb. She said it was going to rain? Well, it snowed. Again.
    Happily it did then rain...

My foil blanket stash has arrived & I am beginning to line coat pockets. So far, sons are proving very tolerant of mum's weird ways.
    It may be these are a false economy & rip at a harsh look, but when the weather is this uncooperative with the forecasters, I'd rather think my lads all have an extra boost just in case.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It may be these are a false economy & rip at a harsh look

Actually, Emergency Blankets are fairly durable. Just don't tread on them in spikes. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :j:j:j:j YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My existing allotment has passed inspection this week, being officially deemed 'in very good condition' and I am allowed to take on the half plot alongside it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY VERY HAPPY and itching to get up there, hope the weather isn't too vile this weekend, t's been pelting sleety rain here today.

:D I'm ridiculously happy to have a derelict plot to bring back into loveliness and fertility. I shall be showing the couch grass, horsetails, brambles and bellbind Cold Steel, and any grubs I find in the soil will be put onto the bird table and fed to the burdies.

Goes off to do a happy war dance and plan the campaign. :j:T:j
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brilliant news, GQ! Congratulations! In an ideal world I'd be sharpening my billhook to come & give you a hand at the weekend. In the real world, I'll just have to get stuck in to the remaining couch grass on my own, and get some seeds a-going.
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    Options
    :) Thank you, I shall feel you there in spirit, at least. Good luck with your own allotment & garden.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely news GQ you've finally got your wish . I'll pop by to keep an eye on the daily slug and snail count but I know you'll have well sharpened steel at hand .

According to my milkman we had 3ins of heavy snow overnight and he was batting his way through it at 5am in a very vintage milk float .
    I had a rare lie in and missed the entire performance of schools closed and difficult roads . Just dampness to show on the ground when I opened the curtains . Checked local news and it had been a white out .
    The sun was out this afternoon and some blue sky but icy cold . Hopefully that was one final blast overnight my poor daffs keep starting to unfurl and then go into rest mode .

Stay safe and well all .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all,

I'm pleased to report I actually got a load of washing dry outside this afternoon. Also did an hour's gardening digging up brambles. I don't envy GQ having to do half an allotment full. What on earth do you do with all the waste? Do brambles compost down?

Indoors here, it's still fly-mageddon. I think I must have killed about 15 today, but at least they are sluggish. I don't think I'll be poisoning rodents again if I can help it.

BTW, has anyone tried to alter their order on Milk & More? What a palaver! You have to cancel the order you already paid for, and start again from scratch, then put in your CVV no. again. Talk about shooting their business in the foot!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jko, I know you had a rodent problem but sluggish fat flies make me think cluster flies. They hibernate anywhere cosy and dark
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ, congratulations on the "new" allotment! That's going to be really interesting how you manage it: I hope we get a few listings of the weird stuff you find in the bramble patches :)

My own preps are on hold **still** while I integrate all the stuff from my mum's house. My patchwork stash is a wonder to behold now, of course, and I have lots of half made things that can be made into a beautiful throw for my bed. The nicest addition to the preps is something that nearly went to the charity shop (my mum bought it at a cs, so in one way, fair enough). I claimed it, anyway - its a two inch deep circle of solid wood, which I'm told is mahogany, that has inserts to hold three tealights, its utterly beautiful, very simple, very lovely.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ That's brilliant! So pleased for you :)

Karmacat The tealight holder sounds beautiful Enjoy using it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure