PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know why the headache and it is because of two massive solar flares which have been unleashed, very massive and the proton count towards us is increasing (bad ions) there will also be bunching because burst after burst of solar wind will directly be hitting earth. Many many people will have been feeling a bit under the weather today and yesterday. I have negative ionisers in my house and am turning them all on, it will help. 2010 was the last time three massive hurricanes were compressed to the same time frame. Mmmm, nature`s warning perhaps!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2017 at 5:46PM
    Options
    One does have to take estate agents blurb with a pinch of salt and, in some areas, a way bigger pinch of salt than normal imo. There are "area standards" and some are lower than other "area standards". I have found that personally and some areas will tell you that a house is some levels up from what it really is judged by the standard of a different area (tell me about it....cynical smilie.....). I learnt, after a while, to downgrade what I was told by 1 level to allow for EA optimism and then a couple more to allow for that factor (ie change of area factor to poorer area was what it boiled down to). So if EA said "Ready to move into" I translate normally into "Well I can move into it and then get on with it" - but I learnt that, in some areas, that means "Well you can move into it right away and it will just about function - but get on with renovating it fast - just to make sure you've got basics - eg the central heating and lighting are actually working".

To me - "ready to move into" translates into "Decorate it/maybe new kitchen and or bathroom". In poorer areas "ready to move into" may mean errrrrrm.......rather a LOT LOT worse....and it may not even function (bearing in mind my current house was described as "ready to move into". You have gotta be kidding and there was a time when damn all was even literally working in it - ohmegawd).

You're en route Kittie to Forever Home. Rome wasnt built in a day. Right at this moment = you're checking out possibilities. This is research phase and I would say "hang on in there and you might just be lucky during Research Phase" but you're learning what's what and what's available and what you personally want/are prepared to accept.

I would say your timing isnt far off from what I can see about having a "look around". This may/may not work for you - but I think your timing is pretty good as to when you decided to have the "look around" imo.

"Putting the word out" is always a good idea imo and I've done it myself before now - ie when "logical avenues" simply werent working. Keep an eye on all possibilities - both "logical avenues" and sheer synchronicity of "right place right time - right person". Either could work.

I've got a positive feeling about this that it will come good for you. It just may take a few weeks, maybe even a few months - but hang on in there and I think it will.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks money, wise words. I did a neuro programme thing while lying back to relax, like some meditation. It worked and de-stressed me and I have had e mails from the children, so supportive. My niece is on holiday for a bit longer but I trust her with my all, we did the same subjects ie physics and then a medical thing, the same one and neither of us knew the other was doing it. I unexpectedly met her at uni, a year below me and now she lives 30 minutes from me. So there is a lot of synchronicity and I would say `soul sisters` I just have to give it over to her, its just too much on my own but I do know that there will be light at the end of the tunnel and yes this will be my last and forever home. I think I have been hanging onto this because my husband wanted this eco house so much, I think it is the last clean cut that I must make
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Kittie, may I suggest "snooping" round potential homes & areas on Google maps & Streetview before going to view? It's amazing what estate agents don't mention, like the industrial estate next door, or the caravan park opposite. Or a river prone to flooding, or a busy car park. Not necessarily problems, but the sort of thing that might put you off. You can also inspect local plans etc. online, which should tell you if there are likely to be any major developments nearby. On Satellite view, you can quite easily see if, for example, neighbouring gardens are full of old bedsteads & burnt-out cars. It's saved us a lot of potentially-wasted trips.
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    oooh Kittie that's so strange, I had a terrible headache yesterday for no apparent reason, that painkillers wouldn't touch and then today i was - er,indisposed - again for no obvious reason.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Kittie, may I suggest "snooping" round potential homes & areas on Google maps & Streetview before going to view?.

This how the internet is worth every penny, how I knew to ask about the garage and saw what looked like a perspex leanto, utility room haha. Thanks TW

I have the date in my diary for the next group meeting of ladies in those villages, they just meet to make friends and go on day-out coach trips together. I think I already know a couple of them through the `keep fit` that I used to go to. They asked me to join then but I felt too active but these are women who `know` and some are from each of these three villages, so I can get word out that I am looking. I would also be moving into a ready made community

I was a little concerned about finances last night but I know my method is the right one for me and I am good at managing money, just done the november bill/incoming transfers on m/.s money. I am dropping money into my visa card now, instead of just buying things and then transferring money from savings. I have stopped buying and am transferring to visa from a current account, when cash becomes available. The freezer also concerns me but if push comes to shove, then my frozen food will go the distance, a couple of miles. However I will eat from the freezer every day. Two very full freezers, mostly allotment produce

When I start to go, then I am going to ask the removals company to dismantle and then re-erect my stands and shelves from outbuilding and garage. I could do them myself but paying professionals will save me stress, So maybe three stages, outbuilding and workshop first to clear space, then after selling this house, garden pots and there are many and large, although I will try and leave some. Then lastly, house stuff. Tbh, it seems to be sorting itself out and just clarifying stages is reducing stress

Re what I can afford and prices, RM is a very good friend at the moment, looking at past sold properties gives me a better idea and the RM trend chart is interesting with a dip starting to go downwards, getting cheaper is the trend

I have to stop thinking about it now, just need to think how I can `prep` more stuff and this is also MK, Today I will start to work downwards in the garage, clearing top shelves. Tbh it is quite nice to have a focus for the day, rather than drifting
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting to hear about your house move Kittie.

What you said regarding garage shelves struck a chord with me. I had removal men to do that back in 2009. Frankly, I wish I'd bought new shelves for this place, and done the garage move in small amounts in the car. The removal men were in such a rush (understandably) that everything was just bunged anywhere in this garage. I still haven't found everything.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 9:15AM
    Options
    jko - sounds like a task for this winter maybe? - ie a good clear-through of that garage. Maybe you could pay that young lad you mentioned a bit back an hourly rate to help you with the job?

Though don't necessarily expect that you still have all your possessions in your possession iyswim after having it moved for you. I think/feel sure that some removal men (I hasten to add there will be decent ones out there) bargain on people taking months/maybe years to get things sorted after a move and could be sitting there with unpacked boxes years later. By which point - most people wouldnt even be that aware of what they own any longer...

....and the reason I know that being I paid my removal firm when I moved here to do my packing for me. Cue for me unpacking pretty promptly again this end (ie within a matter of weeks) and so I knew very well a few of my possessions were definitely still owned by me - but hadnt arrived at my new house with me:cool::cool:. I then saw why removal firms have a clause in the small print about people only having a very short period of time during which to put in a claim for any possessions that have "gone missing"/been damaged in the move..:cool:

I did manage to get paid for my missing possessions - after a bit of a "fight" about it:). I guess they didnt bargain on people decluttering before moving/being pretty organised and generally being pretty well aware of exactly what they own.
  • jk0
    Options
    Thanks Money.

In my experience you need to pick a day very carefully for garage tidying... Too cold, and you won't be able to bear the door open, too hot, and you'll be dying, too wet and you can't put anything outside temporarily... :)

To have to coordinate that with an idle teenager's schedule is pretty hopeless. I had to sack him from his Saturday job in the end sadly. It took me a further day every week to rectify all the mistakes he made.
  • jk0
    Options
    BTW, odd dream last night:

I found myself back at school learning to type. (Never did get any typing lessons. I bought a gadget to teach me.) I found it very hard though, as although I knew the key layout, we were on mechanical typewriters.

I wonder if I ever will have to learn to use one of those? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure