PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2017 at 7:41AM
    Options
    Absolutely Kittie. You're more qualified than many to know how things would be. I came across enough "bods with more knowledge than me on these things" back in the 1980s and took the view that "if that opinion as to how things would be is good enough for them then it's good enough for me".

The only thing I'm wondering, if it came to it, is whether I'd be aware enough in time to get back to my Home City - so I could be sure and certain I'd be in a "direct target zone" and I could go out in style with a good meal out (which is something that's so difiicult it's basically impossible to get here). I'm so far in "back of beyond" that it takes 4-5 hours to get back to my own city and that's in a car (rather longer on public transport).

Though I guess I could whip into a taxi and go to Cardiff instead - being a reasonable size city it should be a "direct target zone" I presume and plenty of places for the "last meal out in style". So what if it cost me several hundred £s for a taxi fare? - It's not like I'd need the money any more...

Now that would make for an unusual request at a restaurant for said last meal - "Can I have a tablespoon each of the 20 different things I can see on your menu that I haven't tried yet please?". So I could be sure and certain I was reproducing them accurately if I just fancied a nice meal any time on The Other Side (yes - I know we don't need food once we're actually dead - but I imagine I will decide I just fancy having a nice meal once in a while anyway and will visualise one up for myself).
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure kittie meant to type NK :D

I agree, absolutely no point in worrying.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Accidents are usually survivable, yes, but I think there's a form of attack thats also survivable for the vast majority, even if at the cost of losing all belongings - a dirty bomb attack.

And as for a war, a full scale nuclear war, I still think it's incredibly unlikely. If I survived, it wouldn't be for long, with my health - but personally, I'm not one of those that want to go out in the first blast.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's all out of anyones control except those whose intentions are to be biggest dog! That fact doesn't stop the absolute fury it engenders in those of us who can only sit and wait for the outcome. If there is an end I hope for all of us it is swift and instant!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely, its out of our control. Fury - I don't feel that, though it's a perfectly legitimate response, for sure!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's because of the needlessness of it all Karma, surely there are much better things for Heads of State to do than deliberately pick fights with each other and endanger the rest of the planet?
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Oh, but war is soooo good for the economy, and for getting the populace to accept all kinds of control... :angry:
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There won`t be any choice if it is a blast, so be it, at least we all go together. If its an `accident` and clouds of radiation are released, then it will depend which way way the wind blows initially but we are all surrounded by the same atmosphere and whatever is `dirty` in the air will come down in rain and on land and sea. So life goes on and s*d the news, it is our little bubbles that count
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    If its an `accident` and clouds of radiation are released, then it will depend which way way the wind blows initially but we are all surrounded by the same atmosphere and whatever is `dirty` in the air will come down in rain and on land and sea.

Very true - it was 26 years after Chernobyl before the restrictions were lifted on Welsh and Cumbrian sheep farms.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'm not even angry...just cynical resignation of "What will be will be" basically. Living on Earth by definition means living on the same planet as people at all levels that "get up to all sorts" from general antisocial behaviour to starting wars and all "shades of bad behaviour" in between.

History books tell us it was always that way as far as we can see/there's loads of it at all levels going on now (just one 10 minute walk outside the front door will reveal low level bad behaviour on any day of the week) and I expect there always will be.

Hence - I don't even feel like anger. That went years ago - once I realised the human race is probably never going to change - darn it:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure