PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive just checked and we still seem to have the ignore function on the site - it took a while to find in the new blue shininess

i would think it would be better to ignore someone you dont agree with than to remove yourself from the site in its entirety

just my two pennith worth
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • princesstippytoes
    princesstippytoes Posts: 451 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2016 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Yes in a word.

It's a word that had never crossed my mind until recent years - never heard of them. But - in recent years - it is one of the fallback positions of an NHS increasingly under siege - ie "You expect/need to see the doctor and get a nurse practitioner instead:(". It's one of the cover-ups we have here for no longer having the Full Deal we used to have from the NHS...

Probably pretty common to get fobbed off with one of them where one is expecting to see a doctor by now I guess...and I know I've personally been fobbed-off with one of them recently where I was expecting to see a consultant (and refused treatment - cue for subsequent visit to private hospital instead afterwards to get the treatment....).

You do know that a nurse practitioner is top of their game yeah? Coming down with training and qualifications they have strived for and achieved. I don't know whether to be more shocked by some of your offensive comments today or the fact that you still have the ability to shock me.

YOU are not more important than any other patient be they foreign, drunk, whatever. Your injury or illness is assessed by trained professionals and THEY decide, not you, who gets first treatment. Do you seriously think you'll be better off reading some second hand book on medicine from Amazon? Will that be better than being "fobbed off" with a nurse practitioner? Good luck with that. Give me the diagnosis and treatment from a highly trained medic rather than an ex bottom grade, minimum wage civil servant who's read a book, every time.
    Life is too short to waste a minute of it complaining about bad luck. Find joy in the simple things, show your love for those around you and be grateful for all that you have. :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cappella - I *do* like to think of myself as a good person, its true :o but I don't think I deserve special mention on this thread, you might mean GQ? Or mardatha (except for her attitude to jellybabies :) ).

Don't go! Ariarnia has a good suggestion, use the ignore button ... its tricky, but it can be done.

NewShadow - loved your post, like GQ's earlier one, don't delete it, it was a great summary.

I'm simply not going to let myself get dragged into discussion and controversy, when I can say something good, I'll say it, otherwise nada, zip, zilch, its the only way I can cope. It might seem like a copout, and I'm sorry if it does, but its all I've got. Six weeks to retirement, and begging the Powers That Be that I don't fall ill again ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Karmacat - many many apologies. I was wishing ( unkindly ) that karma would visit MITSTM, didn't mean you and can only say so sorry again.
    And thank you and Ariarnia for reminding me about the ignore button, have now found it and used it and am going to go and make lemon balm tea to avoid making any more rash decisions I might later come to regret.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A nurse practitioner starts out with the three year training course (now degree level). He/she then works as a nurse for any number of years, might be just six or seven, might be twenty, depends on the field they work in. They then have to be accepted for nurse practitioner training, not sure how many weeks that involves, but part of it is the Physical Assessment Skills course which covers every single body system, how to take a patient history, how to thoroughly and systematically examine a patient and come up with differential diagnoses (I.e a number of things that could be wrong) before coming up with the most likely diagnosis. They learn how to read and interpret scans and X-rays, interpret blood results, and use their instinct when listening to what their patient is saying...and what they are not saying. They also have to complete the Nurse Prescribing course, which ensures they are competent to prescribe drugs appropriately.

Those courses are also at degree level, and taking into account the extensive experience the nurse would have gained in practice beforehand, this means that when you see a Nurse Practitioner you are in safe, competent hands. To suggest they are somehow second best to a GP is a big mistake, GPs find them invaluable.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh blimey, what have I just done :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

As crossed wires go (i.e. mine) thats a good'un :)

Right, I'm boiling the kettle for a cuppa tea, I have two unwatched episodes of Mock The Week on iplayer, I'm done :)

I also have a lemon balm plant (which has two babies nearby) and I just might experiment with lemon balm tea tomorrow myself.

Sleep well all

xxx
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Capella I sent you a PM before I'd read your most recent post, so please just ignore it :cool:
  • princesstippytoes
    Options
    A nurse practitioner starts out with the three year training course (now degree level). He/she then works as a nurse for any number of years, might be just six or seven, might be twenty, depends on the field they work in. They then have to be accepted for nurse practitioner training, not sure how many weeks that involves, but part of it is the Physical Assessment Skills course which covers every single body system, how to take a patient history, how to thoroughly and systematically examine a patient and come up with differential diagnoses (I.e a number of things that could be wrong) before coming up with the most likely diagnosis. They learn how to read and interpret scans and X-rays, interpret blood results, and use their instinct when listening to what their patient is saying...and what they are not saying. They also have to complete the Nurse Prescribing course, which ensures they are competent to prescribe drugs appropriately.

Those courses are also at degree level, and taking into account the extensive experience the nurse would have gained in practice beforehand, this means that when you see a Nurse Practitioner you are in safe, competent hands. To suggest they are somehow second best to a GP is a big mistake, GPs find them invaluable.

I think we all agree with you on this. I am so angry about the dismissal of such professionals. I know several who have worked unbelievably hard to get where they are. I would, and have, trust them with my life.

From bitter experience I would just say that there is little point in reasoning with MITSTM/Ceridwen. Especially about qualifications as she has told us before that women of her generation only went to university to find a husband......

Just a small caveat. If you are putting someone on ignore make sure you add ALL their usernames to your ignore list.
    Life is too short to waste a minute of it complaining about bad luck. Find joy in the simple things, show your love for those around you and be grateful for all that you have. :)
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 July 2016 at 10:00PM
    Options
    I've been reading about lemon balm since it was mentioned a few days ago (here/somewhere) and wondered if anyone makes lemon balm honey/honey butter. It sounds good. I think I'll look in my seed catalogues for a mail order plant or seeds. How lemony does it taste? Do you use it for other things? I saw a recipe where it could flavor fish/chicken, made into a cough syrup, a tincture, in muffins... I make a lot of iced tea with my home grown mint...was thinking lemon balm might be nice in a brew made mainly with black tea? I've never tasted it so no idea.

(Trying to change the subject here ... Sorry to have brought up nurse pracs...Just making an observation...I see one regularly)

Oh oh oh oh
    La La La La La La
    Why can't we all be friends?

The color of your skin (politics, religion, sex, weight, age, eye color) don't matter to me,
    As long as we can all live in harmony. (Please :) )

Good song WAR
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • princesstippytoes
    Options
    I've been reading about lemon balm since it was mentioned a few days ago (here/somewhere) and wondered if anyone makes lemon balm honey/honey butter. It sounds good. I think I'll look in my seed catalogues for a mail order plant or seeds. How lemony does it taste? Do you use it for other things? I saw a recipe where it could flavor fish/chicken. Could be made into a cough syrup, a tincture, in muffins... I make a lot of iced tea with my home grown mint...was thinking lemon balm might be nice in a brew made mainly with black tea? I've never tasted it so no idea.

It is quite lemony but I find it a bit soapy tasting too. Might just be me though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure