PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    XP isn't the only issue. It affects other versions of windows. Yes, organisations have been working over the weekend to deal with it, but the creators of the virus have also been working on it... so who knows.

But remember, for this to work, it requires a human to ignore their IT policy and open a document/click on a link in a phishing email. So remember, those of you going back to work tomorrow, be particularly cautious about attachments and links, and if you're not sure check with your IT security people first.

There is plenty of information on there, but one thing to remember is that speculation can drive panic and actually create more problems than there are. The best thing to do is carry on calmly, and try not to let it affect you.

And be nice to all the people who have been working flat out since Friday on this and are now feeling rather tired...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 May 2017 at 9:40PM
    Options
    I have been a little bit pro-active with my two computers this evening and facing facts that there could be massive cyber disruption tomorrow, I always had malwarebytes but it has to be asked to scan, there is a 14 day trail of malwarebytes premium, which is working all the time ie gets in between the computer and trouble. The other computer was fine, I only use it for a specific task. This one had 24 threats on it, they have been deleted by malwarebytes. It took a while to do this cleansing but the upshot is also that my computer is running much faster. So now, windows is fully updated, I have kaspersky internet security and now also malwarebytes. I used to have free avast but like kaspersky much more. I now feel secure and safe.

This programme from nasa is very powerful and is out there, to change with changing situations. This cyber attack is only the start

Should be interesting tomorrow

my ds has been abroad on holiday and will be back at work tomorrow, project manager, IT in a bank. I haven`t spoken to him but am sure that banks are fully prepared and secured as a matter of course.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just glad I don't have an employer any more.....and glad I've got tins of baked beans stashed away here.....
    Me too ... but I wish I was at home, instead of catsitting in dratted London (I'm returning on Tuesday) I really hope the transport computers, the ones that see to the the points on the railways etc, don't get mugged by this thing.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • boddy
    boddy Posts: 3,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The staff at the hospital I volunteer at have been advised to turn up for work. Not to turn on their computers unless told to do so. They are unable to X ray people with appointments. They do have procedures in place and staff are doing their best. I was there on Friday when it happened. Senior management dashing round and getting everyone to shut down immediately.

I always keep a bit of dosh stashed in the house as I've always thought what if the banks go down.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2017 at 4:57PM
    Options
    I'm just glad I don't have an employer any more.....and glad I've got tins of baked beans stashed away here.....

We were planning beans on toast tonight and had our bakery loaf thick-sliced (on Saturday) on purpose, but perhaps we'd better hang onto the beans....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, the world hasn't imploded and we're all still here so that's a plus eh? so far there doesn't seem to be any great disruption to anything except matters Medical in some places at least not that they're telling us so I think this has been a very loud 'wake up call' to make sure your systems are as secure as is possible at all times. The fact that we have already made provision for events like these and have stores of food, water, wood, medications etc. just puts us ahead of the game a tiny bit but I'm sure there must be things to add in to general preparedness that we could all contribute to so maybe let us share the small 'sideways' things we do that might be helpful to us all in the future?

I always keep a fire lighting kit of cotton wool balls, a disposable lighter, a tiny jar of Vaseline petroleum jelly and some waxed matches in a jam jar ready to grab and go in an emergency as the jar I know will keep all dry and together.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a good idea to have an emergency fire-lighting kit, Lyn :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, the world hasn't imploded and we're all still here so that's a plus eh?
    I'm pleased about that!
    I always keep a fire lighting kit of cotton wool balls, a disposable lighter, a tiny jar of Vaseline petroleum jelly and some waxed matches in a jam jar ready to grab and go in an emergency as the jar I know will keep all dry and together.
    I have all of those materials, but not together. I have a little lighting pack, and I know where all my lighting stuff is, but not to have a fire. Probably not so urgent now in late spring, but I'll definitely make a kit out of existing stores ready for autumn. I worry that maybe that those of us who *have* preps are going to be using them for emergencies, not just for convenience. I work on *not* worrying though, there's no point. Do or not do, there is no try, as Yoda would say :)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have found the ultimate protection against this ransom ware worm. It's fool proof alright. It's called having a dud machine! It's still under warranty so thank goodness​ I'm a prepper and never underestimate the need for paperwork organisation.

It's being collected by courier tomorrow and I'm not best pleased at that because it is likely to come back in defective state just because of the nature of the beast but as it stands the machine won't work at all so I have no choice.

I can access the world via my phone and my tablet but I'm old school and need a keyboard, mouse and bigger screen! I miss it already. If they weren't so darn expensive I'd have a back up in my stores!!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fuddle

Libraries offer free computer time for half an hour or sometimes more in different areas of the country. On the other hand their computers might have been hacked as well.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills