PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody know what would happen if the hackers hit the banks tomorrow? Would you still get your money out if you went into the branch or could they not let you have any money as they wouldn't know if you had enough in the account, etc ... Anybody know?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The press are suggesting tomorrow morning could be even more chaotic than Friday when people go back to work and turn on their machines.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Not just the press. The head of Europol said it this morning.

I dunno Mar. I think they would have to just pull down the shutters. Of course I would like to think of that as a metaphor but I think it could well be a reality!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    He Who Knows is of the opinion that banks etc. will have been working over the weekend to sort out any potential problems and that 'patches' were sent out on Friday by the bigger firms to fix the problem and stop it contaminating other computers. He reckons ATMs will be working too but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what we wake up to tomorrow!
  • mardatha
    Options
    But if it's a whole new virus then any patches and fixes will be useless..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can't even make a guess lovey, tomorrow will be what it is and we'll find ways to cope whatever it brings. If the banks ARE open and it's business as normal there isn't a problem. If the banks aren't open then the whole of their customer base will be in the same fix and presumably so will any companies and organisations that might be waiting for DDs or paying out to their customers who bank with them, certainly there might be delays but there will be ways of dealing with life until things are fixed and the system starts functioning again, all will be well!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) This is why we prep, lovely peeps, so's we don't have to fret if business-as-normal isn't normal.

Have the folding stuff and the jangling stuff, the edibles at home and sleep soundly in your bed. Which is where I shall be heading early tonight, as tomorrow will be a long day.

Just glad my employer isn't using XP.............!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm just glad I don't have an employer any more.....and glad I've got tins of baked beans stashed away here.....
  • mardatha
    Options
    I have got money and stash, but my monthly big money hits the bank on Tues lol and I WANT IT!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't know if this is hacking related, but, I went to the cash machine yesterday, and selected £200.

It said £200 would exceed my daily withdrawal limit.

I went into my bank branch, and they checked and confirmed I'd made no withdrawals since Friday, and then they dispensed my £200.

Hearing about all this hacking, I'm getting a little nervous, so I'm going to pop out and withdraw another £100, so I have enough to comfortably see me through till the weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure