PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to be different here, :D - and difficult too! I think you are just playing into a Tory grubbyment's hands by turning and pointing at the OAPs with their buss passes. You forget that one day (hopefully) you too will be an OAP. But by the time you get there, there will be no bus pass for you - because you let them divide us and turn us against each other. :mad:
    They are going to rub their hands with greedy glee and claw back the bus pass, and then what next? Because there will always be something else they take back... We'll end up like something in a Dickens novel. Count on it!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2017 at 6:50PM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I'm going to be different here, :D - and difficult too! I think you are just playing into a Tory grubbyment's hands by turning and pointing at the OAPs with their buss passes. You forget that one day (hopefully) you too will be an OAP. But by the time you get there, there will be no bus pass for you - because you let them divide us and turn us against each other. :mad:
    They are going to rub their hands with greedy glee and claw back the bus pass, and then what next? Because there will always be something else they take back... We'll end up like something in a Dickens novel. Count on it!

I am not (quite) old enough for a bus pass yet, but I absolutely couldn't agree more, Mardatha. Their aim is to turn us against each other, us little people at the bottom, so we don't bother to look up and see what is going on way over our heads, and sadly, it seems to be working :mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All I was trying to say in my very inept way was that it's something to think about in the way it's used. I love the fact that I have a bus pass and I'd like to keep it so I use it when I NEED to make a journey for a purpose be that getting to the doctors, dentists or supermarket to food shop etc. and I don't use it because I fancy a day out. I don't actually know if where I use it to get to is recorded anywhere or even if they record the number of times I use it but I see it as an aid to life in general and making travel an option for 'jobs' to be done without me having to hand over a fair proportion of the weekly housekeeping money means to me at least we have a better life because our pension stretches that little bit further which can only help no? Sorry for causing dissent in the discussion in the first place but it's how I feel and doesn't have to apply to anyone else at all.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lurker here, but it doesn't come across that you are causing dissent, just that you are very conscientious and frugal :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought I was a bit of a wet blanket M'dear, thank you for being kind xxx.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Papering the living room, and would you believe it, approaching the end of the second wall, and, the joint is going to be within about an inch of the corner. :mad:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VJsmum, I'm all for more cycling and public transport. A lot of people have little option other than a car or motorbike though. The combination of fuel duty and VAT already means that about 60p in every pound spent at the petrol pump goes straight to the exchequer. People who drive as part of their business may be able to claim mileage from their employer or have fuel costs as a business expense but there are people who don't get anything - I am thinking of carers who have to drive between clients, short term contractors who work in different towns, that kind of thing. I can't think that hitting them harder is the right thing to do.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There would have to be allowances for such workers. It ain't going to happen anyway so it's all a bit arbitrary. I value my free train travel enormously and make good use of it, anything to keep cars off the road is a good thing though.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with you Mardatha that making us all focus on what divides us rather than uniting is playing into the hands of the rich and powerful. When I read about people getting upset about microaggression (which seems to boil down in a lot of cases to common or garden rudeness which has always been part of the human condition) I think the elite must be rubbing their hands in glee.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't getting at you MrsL, or anybody in particular. I was just saying what I thought about the whole subject of pensioners/bus passes/guvments/ etc. We seem to always let them divide us and fight each other - instead of all rounding on them and making them cut their bl00dy allowances/wages/perks and expenses!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know you weren't my little Scottish thistle flower, I'm not got at, just putting my take on things and hoping to explain where I stand without crushing tender toes at the same time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure