PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for the messages dads hanging in there, vicars wife called at the house for him , not knowing he was in hospital and sang happy birthday through the letter box , a neighbour put her straight and she came straight to the hospital together with a good dose of family cheered him up a bit.....yea hes 84 today
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. Just as we're all saying less cars on the road would be better which we all seem to agree on I've had to get myself a car this week due to job changes. For a decade we've managed in a village with just the one car between us as I've been mostly able to work from home and initially the bus service was quite good.

But now, it's impossible to get into the nearest town or city for a 9am working day start, impossible to get home at the end of the day unless you get a taxi and no chance of getting anywhere in the school holidays when the buses hardly run at all.

It's an expense I could do without but needs must. I think when we are OAPs/no longer able to drive, we'll need to think about living closer to the town or city.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know it's only muscle flexing and at the moment it's a 'My Dad's bigger than your Dad' throwing of inflamatory words between leaders who are really BOTH old enough to know better but in the rhetoric between N.Korea and the USA and also to a lesser extent between the party leaders of Political Parties here in the UK in the run up to the General Election and also in France I can only see toddlers fighting over who gets to ride the trike today!!! I wish with a real passion that they would ALL grow up, recognise that politeness and consideration aren't something to be ashamed of and stop being quite so BELLIGERANT!
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well said MrsLW. Can't wait to read the manifestos and then see what prepping may really be required.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jazee, we're in a similar position; we managed perfectly well with one car until the kids were in their teens, as there were plenty of buses & our little town is walkable. Then the bus services started to be reduced, just as we needed to get people to college etc.; they had to go into the city & out again, meaning a journey that took 10 minutes by car took 2 hours by bus and cost a small fortune. Plus a lost or stolen bus pass had to be bought again - no records were kept - so normal teenage carelessness/lightfingeredness cost £300+ for a term's transport. Also, as my parents aged, we needed to be able to get to them fast; a 25-mile journey cross-county can easily take 4 hours by bus/train, but only 25 minutes in the car. Thus basically forcing me onto the roads...

When I sit & do the maths in the cool light of day, my little business & all the work I put into it really just pays for keeping me mobile! (Oh, and the odd dance/driving lesson, and student accommodation deposit, and holiday) But it has to be done... the answer would probably be to move closer to Mum, but that would be further away from OH's work and those of the kids who are independent now. No easy answers...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    Whatever the right or wrong of free bus passes, they have now been politicised. We won't get a straight answer on public transport, especially not as part of an election manifesto, when government could later be held to its promises. I'm thankful we're able to manage in a small market town now, but also expecting to be forced to move when I'm no longer able, or can't afford to drive.
    On a more cheerful subject, literally years ago Mrs LW you gave me advice on Alexanders. I now have grown a pot full, it's looking very healthy. I know it is a wild plant, but not a lot growing round here, I think I have seen some in the old castle grounds at Whittington. Anyway, can't remember how is eaten, so more advice needed please.

Article in the Telegraph today (with bad headlines) reckons some greens are more nutritious after a week in the fridge. Not sure if this is dodgy science, I'm inclined to think a little manipulation of results may be going on.

Daz I hope your Dad is feeling better, I've been lurking here for years and always like to hear of his true OS shopping with tinned salmon. Thinking of you both.
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Interesting discussion on transport and bus passes.
    I felt I had to wait ages to get my pass, only acquired in 2015, and was very grateful for it but am now in the position to be unable to use it. I walk very badly and fall down a lot (despite a plethora of walking aids) and find bus stops too far away from me so that by the time I get there all I can do is sit for a while and return home.
    Most bus drivers round here (not all) seem to think that once a passenger is on the vehicle they can pull away - and they also seem to be unable to start moving gently! As a result I have been on the floor a number of times - luckily there are usually some lovely people who help me up - giving me plenty more reasons not to try.

I rely on taxis to go anywhere and they are expensive enough without anything to increase their charges, as it is I am able to go out more rarely all the time.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 April 2017 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Oh well done SHROPSHIRE LASS I remember sending you the Alexanders Seed and have often wondered if they grew for you. To cook them you peel the young stems and pan fry them gently in a tiny bit of butter, season them with salt and black pepper and if you like sprinkle with lemon juice. The young leaves can be (in small amounts) chopped and used as part of a spring salad and the flowers/flower buds can be dipped in batter and deep fried to make a delicious fritter along with some elderflowers, drizzled with honey/dusted with icing sugar and enjoyed very much.

I've just got the wild foods book out and looked up the Latin genus of Alexanders and it recommends peeling the stems like rhubarb and then simmering them for 6 or so minutes before gently frying them in the butter.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are Alexanders, please? They were obviously mentioned on here some time ago but I can't remember :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They are often found in the ruins of monasteries and castles as they were grown as a 'pot herb' and were brought to the UK by the Romans when they first invaded the island. They grow very well in coastal areas and are amongst the first plants to show leaf in the spring the Latin name is Smyrnium Olusatrum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure