PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    ...The other one I was referring to, is getting married.

But only with parental consent.
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    But only with parental consent.

But it is still legal to get married at 16.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Not in Scotland - you can legally get married here at 16 with or without permission. I did. And you can drive a tractor at 16. LOL the odd random facts that run around in my head!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Not in Scotland - you can legally get married here at 16 with or without permission. I did. And you can drive a tractor at 16. LOL the odd random facts that run around in my head!
    :p You could drive your tractor to your wedding! One of my cousins went to her nuptials in an HGV tractor cab (hubs is a trucker). It even had white ribbons on (the truck, not the groom, I hasten it add).:p

Have re-filled the 25 litre carrier and had a tidy-around of the secret squirrel food cache, rotating out some cans. The shortest-dated things in there now have 12 months on them, others have 24-36 months til BBs.

Supplies are pretty well hidden around here, so that I can continue to pass as Norma Normal from Normalshire, but gawd help me if a house clearance firm ever gets loose in my gaff.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone old enough to remember the "Protect and Survive" leaflets? They're back: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/protect-survive-nuclear-war-republished-pamphlet

I thought remembered being told that if you were caught outside in a nuclear explosion you should pull your jacket over your head - and there was an illustration of someone in a ditch doing precisely that. Really hope never to have to test that in real life. GQ, it's just as well you topped up your water containers!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone read about Golden Sack's latest mortgage shenanigans?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-17/why-goldman-buying-spree-delinquent-mortgages
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 8:29AM
    Options
    herbily wrote: »
    Anyone old enough to remember the "Protect and Survive" leaflets? They're back: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/protect-survive-nuclear-war-republished-pamphlet

I thought remembered being told that if you were caught outside in a nuclear explosion you should pull your jacket over your head - and there was an illustration of someone in a ditch doing precisely that. Really hope never to have to test that in real life. GQ, it's just as well you topped up your water containers!

I tried to give a link to that - but it didnt work.

The article I read on that was a spoof in the Daily Mail by the reporter - and not "for real" by Government employees lacking in any sense on this. I wondered why he'd written it. Now I see - the original daft leaflet re-issued out of historical interest.....

I remember how everyone in my CND group laughed cynically when that leaflet was produced and basically took the view that by far the best advice the Government could have given was to try to ensure we were right underneath a likely target (not a problem for us in the event - as we were:cool:). At least our problems would have been over in a matter of seconds - as we got vapourised.

jko - Admits that, right now, I'm focusing more on the useful study of how unrealistic a political "ego in action" can be and if she'll ever wake up and smell the coffee. I think my Tesco's Finest Strength 5 will be staying in the cupboard somehow...

Right now - I think Theresa May is doing a pretty good job of "standing firm" all round.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    gawd help me if a house clearance firm ever gets loose in my gaff.

And then some! I can sort of contemplate m'husband dying younger than actuarially expected - some facts you unwillingly sidle past without making eye contact with, but what the heck I do with All The Tools (some of which I know how to use, others of which I'd be pushed to say what century they were used in let alone what they were for).
    Quite how we've got here with a full workbench and a socking great lathe up on the third floor, I can remember how [Owch!] but just not why (other than we don't have an external shed). Ah well.

Me, I stash food. And I acquired about 7 sewing machines that I really ought to let go to more appreciative homes. Who'll believe the 3 Kenwoods (All charity shop scores) are his? (I was taught to cook with a bowl, spoon, scales, chopping board & sharp knife - mechanisation & I haven't quite been properly introduced.) Yet he knows the names of each strangely shaped meal bit & what its for. Sticking to my ways, I know where the sharpening gear & the sticky plasters are.

The over-the-shoulder spell checker murmurs 'Dualit' & Prudently Vanishes - yes I can field strip & reassemble their toasters. Glorious engineering, real buy it once & love it all life long kit. I still am prepared to make my toast on a pointed stick or nattily twisted length of fencing wire come TEOTWAWKI.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only 7 sewing machines, DFV? You're not really trying... I've lost count of mine! To be fair, there are 3 people stitching under this roof, and I refurbish & sell on the really old ones, but I haven't been able to do any "good" markets since October so I have a bit of a backlog...

I'm another who prefers to use good knives & bowls, a hand-whisk, wooden spoons etc. so that I can feel what's going on. I've owned & let go of several Kenwoods, a Magimix and other assorted gadgets, but the only ones I wouldn't let go of are my slow cookers (2 - one for carnivores, one for vegetarians! One a gift, nearly 20 years ago, and one a lucky car-boot find) my breadmaker and my Bamix. We do also own a toaster (yes, a Dualit) and a mini-oven, which are great, but I could perfectly well do without either of those. I don't have a lot of spare worktop to keep devices on, even though it's quite a big kitchen by many standards; it's just carved up by things keeping the roof on like RSJs & slightly random walls, due to having been built many years ago & altered many times.

I think most of the local house-clearance firms would recognise a fair proportion of the contents of this house...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And then some! I can sort of contemplate m'husband dying younger than actuarially expected - some facts you unwillingly sidle past without making eye contact with, but what the heck I do with All The Tools (some of which I know how to use, others of which I'd be pushed to say what century they were used in let alone what they were for).
    Quite how we've got here with a full workbench and a socking great lathe up on the third floor, I can remember how [Owch!] but just not why (other than we don't have an external shed). Ah well.

Me, I stash food. And I acquired about 7 sewing machines that I really ought to let go to more appreciative homes. Who'll believe the 3 Kenwoods (All charity shop scores) are his? (I was taught to cook with a bowl, spoon, scales, chopping board & sharp knife - mechanisation & I haven't quite been properly introduced.) Yet he knows the names of each strangely shaped meal bit & what its for. Sticking to my ways, I know where the sharpening gear & the sticky plasters are.

The over-the-shoulder spell checker murmurs 'Dualit' & Prudently Vanishes - yes I can field strip & reassemble their toasters. Glorious engineering, real buy it once & love it all life long kit. I still am prepared to make my toast on a pointed stick or nattily twisted length of fencing wire come TEOTWAWKI.

I do enjoy your posts DfV :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport