PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *** Spring's not far away! ***

DD1 & I went walking around our local stately home today, and in the gardens, which admittedly are fairly sheltered, there are snowdrops just beginning to bloom! Plus cyclamen & hellebores, which you'd expect, and some cherry or plum blossom, on more than one tree, which you wouldn't. Plus there are a number of daffs well up with sturdy yellow tips showing. Spring isn't too far away...
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There are buds on our magnolia which is in a sheltered corner of the garden but we have a chilly microclimate here which probably balances that out.

And I was looking at the stores today and thinking, no more, it won't be too long before I'm into salads again - OK that was optimistic but the season is beginning to turn.. If it's not a cloudy day it's light until noticeably later in the afternoon
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    There were some birds out there being distinctly vocal - singing their little hearts out in fact - out in my garden this morning.

Am guessing this is mating behaviour and more appropriate to the spring:) - so was listening with a smile on my face and having a look to see where all the singing was coming from.
  • boddy
    boddy Posts: 3,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was toasty warm on the walk this morning, the trousers really did keep me nice and warm have changed into jeans to walk Cookie this afternoon and I can feel a real difference. I'm going to buy a couple more pairs of the Craghoppers from one of the outlet shops when I go to see DD1 as they will be cheaper than going to an outdoors shop. Very good product in my opinion and worth the outlay.

I have worn these for a few years in the winter for my job as a meeter and greeter in a hospital. If the wind is in the wrong direction at the main doors it can be freezing. They keep me toasty. Also for general out and about wear.
  • juliettet
    Options
    Craghopper fleeces are good too. Don't bobble when washed.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a pair of the Craghopper fleece lined trousers that I am loathe to get rid of but they cut me in half now my middle age has spread a bit. DD may get into walking again one day (having sworn off it as soon as she could escape from parent mandated fresh air and exercise0 so I will keep them for her. But I think I'll look out for another pair for myself
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I am finding my aldi long thermal underwear very good. I don't know if they are only there pre xmas but they are merino wool and were £15 each for either top or leggings . They make all my ordinary trousers wearable in this colder weather . Much better price than anywhere else I have seen for 100% merino and well made too.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2017 at 7:52PM
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any need to go to bed, is there? :)

The gas/elec should only be off for about ten minutes at most.

That was interesting... the poor engineer was bemused by our eccentric wiring, so he sorted it out (to cut a long story short) which took ages, and then after he'd done the gas meter the elderly boiler went into a sulk and refused to re-light. He called a more experienced colleague working nearby, but he hadn't seen one like ours either (it's about 35 years old)! Took ages to work out a way to get it to co-operate, but they managed it in the end and said fgs don't ever turn if off again :D all's well that ends well.

All told, the poor guys were here for over three hours.

Still, it's done now :)

Wow, what a bargain you got there, Culpepper :T

thriftwizard I thought this evening how lovely it is to see light still in the sky at 5 o'clock, always the thing that reminds me spring's on its way! And OH bought me some daffodils yesterday :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blimey culpepper, merino for under £40 an item?! Very good call & yes, the glorious warmth!

I have one pair of lined Craggos, which the eschewing should see me fit into without killing the zip just as the temperature dives again, and we've fleets of Craghopper Kiwi trous (some bought from GoOutdoors when discounted, some just acquired from charity shops by folk who didn't appreciate them) which the lads wear for scouting & general getting up to outdoor stuff - they take a splendid amount of abuse & still come up glorious from the wash.

My beloved parents had completely failed to prep for the dishwasher going donk, so my sister & I demonstrated n impressive facility for just washing up after every meal without a peep, but generating an item by item shopping list to make the chore less complicated for my father. (Mum comprehensively excused boots as her ankle surgery means she'll not be load bearing for another 3 months & we only got her back from the surgeons a few days ago.)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch DigForVictory, your poor Mum! Wishing her a speedy recovery :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure