PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• westcoastscot
    Options
    How lovely MTSTM - congratulations to your friend's father at 100, I hope he lives life to the full!
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hiya my sunnan lamp has gone floppy....still works though and i have a wind up hefty torch and tealights and l.e.d.s loads of batteries bought a digital radio ..wonder ifthat can work off batteries...must check..... my rotas changed at work so no longer get a long weekend off ..but at least im not back in till monday afternoon.....ive cut out crisps as at my diabetes review had put 4 kilos on in 8 month....been asked to improve by March ...will try......you all take care
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The sulking didn't last long.

As I type, she's tucking into a bowl of food. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2016 at 8:25AM
    Options
    How lovely MTSTM - congratulations to your friend's father at 100, I hope he lives life to the full!

Each to their own as to how long they personally wish to live - but his father was in poor health anyway and has now gone into a home in the last year.

I do feel sorry for my friend too - as it looks to me as if he feels his own life is "on hold" - even at our age (ie 60s) - and that he can't decide freely what to do with it (eg where to live).

Personally - I can't think of anything worse than having a long life:eek::eek:. I think I'll settle for around 10 years after I've finally "got my life together" fully (assuming that doesnt take much longer) - and that's subject to my health not getting any worse. Just long enough to feel I've "got my reward" for all my effort putting in my "40 years worth" at work and getting a reasonable home together for myself at last - and "Lights out - party's over. Let's go Home now".

Each to their own on that as to how long we want personally. Some people prefer to "live wild/die young", others to have a "long life". I'm guessing most think "80 something - bar things (ie health) getting too bad and that'll do me.". It's all about "quality of life" imo - to which I personally would add "....and as long as one is still learning something from being Here".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I want every single second of every day that I can possibly have, life is wonderful in every way just because we're ALIVE, we aren't affluent and we don't have need for masses of material things, we have a roof, food, wood to warm us and best our girls and their little ones, we live in harmony (mostly) with our neighbours and friends and we live together in friendship and contentment and are grateful for these lives we've been granted. To hear people say they've lived too long amazes me and to wish life away surprises me greatly. I want to live as long as I can and I'll be grateful for what life has given to my dying breath!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2016 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Guessing you're going for the "as long as possible" length of life then.

Each to their own. If that's what you personally want.

Other people personally want short or average length lives and might make that "subject to amendment" if the quality of life goes.

We all decide for ourselves. None of us can decide for anyone else.

One lesson I've learnt as I go on is that the vast majority of what people say is "Fact" is actually "Their Own Personal Opinion". I have beliefs I regard as absolute Fact - but will hastily say "But, of course, that's my own personal opinion - each to their own" when they come up in discussion.

Personally - I'm currently watching someone going for the longest life possible for themselves and I'm not sure whether they actually want that or no. They may have some hidden "quality of life". They may have some lessons they are still learning - ?eg maybe learning to gratefully accept help (ie because their life is such that they can only continue because they are getting a lot of help from others). I have no idea and I don't suppose anyone else does and it may be, for all any of us know, that they are hating every minute but resigning themselves to it and just "waiting".
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    MTSTM I guess i've been fortunate in that I have always worked at something I loved, and re-trained at 48 through University when that changed. I plan to be the "third" option, live wild, live well and live long. Please don't think that living with an illness or disability takes away from who you are - trust me for most of the time it enhances it.
    Living a long full happy life, embracing all that life throws at you, surrounded by friends and family is a very fortunate way to live.

In my work I've met many people who by your measure should be ready to go, but I can assure you they force every morsel of life out of their allotted span!

I'm so sorry if your life experience has led you to feel otherwise.
  • I know I'm a very lucky woman to be able to see my world the way I do. I discovered many years ago what makes me happy and it's NOT material things or wealth or status but the love of my family, sharing in their lives, helping in any way I can and rejoicing in their successes and supporting them through the adversities that come everyones way from time to time. What makes me happy is the very small things that just happen to be here, the smell of bay leaves, dewdrops on a spiders web, a rainbow in a gloomy sky, swallows in the telephone lines, sunsets and sunrises, the first cutting of asparagus, bonfires, frosty mornings and so many small things that make up an absolutely breathtaking world and are there for everyone and cost nothing but the eyes to see them and the heart to appreciate their beauty. I DO hope to live long and as well as I can and to go on enjoying the beauty of small things for as long as I do live!
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You wait until you find you've started to be on the receiving end of those little catalogues featuring gadgets aimed at the over-50s market.

By the time you've read half way through one of them - you lose the will to live anyway at the obvious assumption that your body is going to crack up on you bit by bit:eek:.

Now I've just got to convince my knees that they aren't supposed to remind me they exist sometimes when I climb the stairs - even if I were in my 80s (and most certainly not in my early 60s!).:eek:. .....and then there's the worrying thought that a Christmas card received from a friend today commented on how his father is still alive - at 100 years old. Poor man....

I started to get those but stopped them by registering with the Mail Preference Service, and I unsubscribe from just about everything on the internet. However, there are some gadgets I am looking at. Electric can opener for one - with arthritis in hands (and everywhere else just about) I find it harder to "grip and turn". I even have to check when I buy bleach as I can manage the push down and turn tops but not the ones where you have to squeeze the sides. With DD living here at the moment it isn't such a bother but I was only saying to her an hour ago that I had to get rid of my Remoska as it was just too heavy for me to cope with. I am cooking stew in the slow cooker today but it was bought when I lived on my own and is a bit small for 2 people (I like to double up quantities for freezing). Now looking at pressure cookers but need to try them in the shop to see how heavy they are. Although after supermarket shopping on Friday, where I bought just 3 extra things "for Christmas", I have said that we may need to stop eating as it cost quite a bit more than I expected (even allowing for the extras)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Each to their own on that as to how long we want personally. Some people prefer to "live wild/die young", others to have a "long life". I'm guessing most think "80 something - bar things (ie health) getting too bad and that'll do me.". It's all about "quality of life" imo - to which I personally would add "....and as long as one is still learning something from being Here".

I tried the "live wild/die young" thing and sometimes wonder how I am still alive, but then I had my family and found such a joy in them (and good friends) that I want to be with them as long as possible (I'm now 61). Life isn't always that great - the last couple of years have been very hard for us - but the positives far outweigh the negatives. My mother was only 39 when she died and my dad was 65 (so never got to enjoy his retirement). I hope for reasonable health although have had arthritis for many years now, but I think as long as I can still read and think I will be content. Besides, I still haven't been described as cantankerous (at least not in my hearing :rotfl:), although one old friend asked me if I will ever stop being a rebel? No chance, I said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure